Boiler blow off into condensate pump..?? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler blow off into condensate pump..?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello,

Looked at a job today, old back boiler upgrading to a combi in airing cupboard in centre of house with laminate floor all around =[ ...

As much as id like to place the boiler someplace else, the airing cupboard is the only viable place =[ which means the condensate has got to be pumped and the boiler blow off either taken into condensate pump?? possibly via a tundish ( making it visible ) or as i read on another thread teed into the return on boiler with additional 3 bar blow fitted on heating return elsewhere!

Anyone ever faced the same dilema before, I see the condensate pumps take upto 80c water at short times? so maybe it would cope?

Condensate pump - £62.00 : Central heating, boilers, combi boilers, radiators and plumbing supplies from Mr Central Heating

Any help appreciated..!

Cap off the blow off and fit one somewhere else in system. Check with manufacturer first thou. Can't see why they won't allow it. Asking as it is set to 3 bar. Remember thou! No isolators between blow off and boiler

def ask boiler manufacture as they may not allow it due to possiblity of boiler iso valves being between expansion vessel and pressure reduceing valve.

as for condense pump, i dont think it is likely to be able to cope with the max flow possible from a pressure reducing valve, ie. 15mm pipe at full mains flow.

i have done this to a worcester boiler before on a basement installation, capping off the blow off and putting a prv on the return above the boiler but I was told to put in a 2.5 bar prv to make the boiler's prv redundant.

I have never done it, but we had a breifing from our firm saying some condensate pump manufactures were allowing pressure relief valves to be discharged into there pumps. I have done what the others have suggested and relocated prv else where on the system

Cheers for that Gasmanxxxr1, after a little more research into condensate pumps i have found one on BES clearly stating designed to take high temperature 100c pressure relief water... Shame its nearly £200.00 =[

Its handy to know about adding another Pressure relief valve tho, Im always weary British gas or someone will come along and condemn the thing =o when they see it tee'd in without them knowing better...

after speaking to manufacture ask for the answer in writing and place a copy into the boiler instructions,and maybe stick a label on the applaince noting the position of the valve.

what do people think of up and over blow offs, see alot around my way in solid floor bungalows with the blow off going up and over with a drain off fitted before it goes up, i no its not great practice but when i spoke to worecester about them on the training course i did they said its not ideal practice but better than going into a condensate pump!

think main issue with this is if there is water in pipe boiler would need slightly extra pressure to blow off>?

I've often wondered about the up and over, would save a lot of hassle. Manufacturer's state its position, location etc in their installation manual. It's prob not good practice but surely it can't do no harm, especially if the water can be released after discharge

[QUOTE=what do people think of up and over blow offs, see alot around my way in solid floor bungalows

Another twist in the boiler blow off... ideally it falls all the way so it dosent freeze in the pipe i guess. Would that be NCS out of interest or even At risk classified!??

I will be searching for tank fed combi's at this rate =[

BAXI have launched high temperature condensate pumps that you can take the prv into as well for use with the new duotec but they would work on any combi

I would have an external prv located on the pipework in a more suitable place. But as others have said, most manufacturer's state a lower pressure for the rating, usually 2.5 bar. Depends which boiler you stick in. I have seen the prv going in to the condense drain via a tundish before, I replaced one the other day. But there was no condense pump. Could you not run the prv pipe under the floor boards to wherever you can find an external wall? It might be a bit more pipework though.

yea if boards thats what i would do a bit awkward but best practice, but in telford i see alot of bungalows solid floor with blow offs up and over, lagged etc in roof and with a drain off connected before rise to drain off if required? so not sure if this is ok or NCS. i mean there is alot around my way like this not sure if a bunch were all fitted with this or what!

Thanks or the help guys, its interesting to know Baxi make a pump suitable also, i will look it up.

Yes i would like to run it under the floorboards but nasty laminate flooring everywhere =[ ... who invents this stuff?? It makes are life so much harder it seems =[

i have done this to a worcester boiler before on a basement installation, capping off the blow off and putting a prv on the return above the boiler but I was told to put in a 2.5 bar prv to make the boiler's prv redundant.
The last thing you would ever do is cap a blow off, you can however pipe the existing blow off into the return and then fit a remote blow off ,always check with manufactures

Last edited by a moderator:
Intergas advised me I could use a remote prv having routed the boiler prv back into the return and left a big tag telling any other engineers where the remote prv was sited. what a nice manufacturer they are:eek:

How do u guys find these topics thats well over a year old?!!

How do u guys find these topics thats well over a year old?!!
The post has not been answered and also the answer will change over time. Some manufactures allow you to use a remote blow off and some don't ,so the more information the better in my view.

I have ran prv into condense pump before on a baxi and checked with baxi and all i was informed is as long as it pumped away fine then all would be o.k .Tested it couple of times with system upto temp and had nil issues with it discharging, also have come across it where others have installed on same set up and tested with no issues .

I have ran prv into condense pump before on a baxi and checked with baxi and all i was informed is as long as it pumped away fine then all would be o.k .Tested it couple of times with system upto temp and had nil issues with it discharging, also have come across it where others have installed on same set up and tested with no issues .

For what it's worth, I've done the same in boilers in basements. I have also installed remote PRV's. So I've done it both ways. If you have to pump the condensate and the pump is up to the task, then why not use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
The return temperature at the boiler governs...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
At the age of 75 you may be entitled to some...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
R
Is this a shower type pump, or heating pump...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back