boiler breakdown expectations | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler breakdown expectations in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Anyone on here that does breakdowns find that as each new winter arrives peoples expectations and cost become more and more unrealistic?
Meaning they expect the parts to be immediately available and the cost to be something daft like 100 quid for a fan replacement.
Oh and they now want no diagnostic charge or expect you to come out to quote for a repair.

Over the years i have tried all sorts of routes and angles on this and always end up back to square one, seriously thinking of jacking all but the most basic of repairs

Anyone on here that does breakdowns find that as each new winter arrives peoples expectations and cost become more and more unrealistic?
Meaning they expect the parts to be immediately available and the cost to be something daft like 100 quid for a fan replacement.
Oh and they now want no diagnostic charge or expect you to come out to quote for a repair.

Over the years i have tried all sorts of routes and angles on this and always end up back to square one, seriously thinking of jacking all but the most basic of repairs

I can't say we have those particular issues but I have over the decades noticed a distinct drop in patience from newer customers and in particular the younger ones. In so much as they expect an 'immediate' response. I blame mobile phones for that. Back in 1800 and frozen to death, people would generally wait! they would ring in the evening or through the day and leave a message.

We do have a fairly large (for a small business) regular customer base and the majority are commercial/industrial. Most are very loyal. One or two have strayed from the path of righteousness over the years but returned after being stung. Those customers are welcomed back into the flock in the knowledge that they seldom stray twice. I think we are blessed to have that but in fairness it has taken a long time to build. I do think regular customers are the answer though, as there is a trust and loyalty between you.

We have a minimum charge (not a call out charge) which the customer knows about prior to the visit. Minor repairs are normally covered in that charge. For anything else they are told what the cost of completion/final invoice will likely be.

Some ask for a quote for repairs but I always tell them that it is not possible. By the time you have carried out fault finding and diagnoses, you have done half the job.

We now tend to use online parts companies and where we are, we can get most things pre-0900hrs the following day for a small fee.

In so much as they expect an 'immediate' response. I blame mobile phones for that. Back in 1800 and frozen to death, people would generally wait! they would ring in the evening or through the day and leave a message.

Tell them not to worry, Amazon will no doubt soon be doing an instant Drone boiler repair service.
The Drone cold even go back to the warehouse where Amazon will have every spare for every boiler ever made

Tell them not to worry, Amazon will no doubt soon be doing an instant Drone boiler repair service.
The Drone cold even go back to the warehouse where Amazon will have every spare for every boiler ever made
I would not be at all surprised. We are rapidly moving toward that strange world. We already have the 'computer says no', brigade handling most things. I will be the one with the twoggy in my back yard, pinging them out of the sky.

Agree over the younger ones , they/most expect you to drop everything and want to know what something is costing before you leave home.
A lad rang me last night at 8 o’clock saying he was “ ringing round “ thats THE ALARM BELLS in my mind , to get a price on fixing his boiler , of course he originally said it only needed servicing.

Don't have a problem with my customer base and most new customers. Last time was for an estate agents. Wanted me to go and quote for a repair. I said no problem. It will be a minimum of 55.00 for attending and diagnosing. Then once you've paid that and you want me to go ahead it will be a minimum of 55.00 plus any parts for the second visit. They didn't think it was fair. I said not a problem, don't phone again.

I get the usual 'my boiler needs servicing', I don't have anything for at least three weeks, 'oh I cant wait that long, it's not working' well it's not a service it needs it's a breakdown.

Or the good old 'oh whilst you're here fixing it you'll be able to service it as well' nope I'm here to get it going you will have to book a separate service visit.

Or the better 'boiler wont fire or reset, I'll be home for 8.00pm you can come then'. Nope, at 8.00pm I'll be at home, if you want it fixing then make yourself available to suit my availability.

You just need to be firm. You're providing a service they need on your terms. Had enough muppets trying it on in the past. I have a life outside my business.

Agree over the younger ones , they/most expect you to drop everything and want to know what something is costing before you leave home.
A lad rang me last night at 8 o’clock saying he was “ ringing round “ thats THE ALARM BELLS in my mind , to get a price on fixing his boiler , of course he originally said it only needed servicing.
I just did nearly a fortnights work over something that 'just needed a service'. I wonder sometimes whether they are genuinely of the belief that all's well and that they have been robbed for years, or if they know full well things are in a poor condition but think I might be numb and just fix it for the service cost anyway.
[automerge]1573067956[/automerge]
Do you think people ring around garages and say - my car is broken, how much will it cost to fix?
Yes. I do think they do that. I also think they ask how much you charge per hour and go off that, as in pick the cheapest.

I agree households under 35 really are click and collect/deliver they are by definition mortgage owners also strapped for cash. When dealing with new customers ...We still do the odd call out but make our charges clear , 1 hour minimum and from home on bank holidays. Credit debit card only. This pleasantly sorts the men from the boys
Often say get British Gas. centralheatking

Similar plumbing topics

From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
S
I think the op gets the hint now. Thread...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
D
Replies
Views
H
No time wasting at all. Thanks for the post...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back