boiler breakdown | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler breakdown in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

graham1030

hi everyone,

this morning my housemate woke up and went for a shower as usual but when he turned the boiler on instead of firing up it starting making this awful banging noise which you could hear throughout the house and was vibrating the radiators. the boiler would make a noise like it was taking in water then it would bang about 5 times. at each bang the pressure gauge would fly up and down. even after turning the boiler completely off this still continued. also water was discharging quite rapidly from the discharge pipe. i even turned the stop valve off but the water still came out. i rang the landlord who is fixing it but im training to be a plumber so was just wondering what you think the problem might be as i haven't seen anything like this before.
thankyou

could be a variety of things. I would check the circulation pump, pressure relief valve and expansion vessel at last instance, the banging sound was probably the PRV intermittently discharging causing a water hammer in its own sense.

how do i stop the water because its flooding my garden? i have turned off the stopcock which has turned off the water to everything else but not the boiler

should have asked is the boiler a combination boiler, or is it a tank fed open vent or sealed system type, with the combination boiler it is generally a sealed system so the prv will continue to discharge until the heating system is empty, as you have turned off the main stopcock the filling loop should not be in working order as you have cut water supply unless it is tank fed which i very much doubt. If it is an open vent type boiler you will need to get the the F&E tank which is usually in the loft and isolate the supply to it. hope this helps

thankyou. it is a combination boiler. we have no tank feed. i turned the stopcock off and 2 hours later it was still discharging at which point i had to leave for work. hopefully my landlord will have sorted it otherwise its going to be a sleepless night. thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
H
A professional is needed to diagnose and...
Replies
Views
Just for completion, and to have this archived...
Replies
Views
W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
Someone has said, he wouldnt of plumbed it as...
Replies
Views
Back