boiler breakdowns | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler breakdowns in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaspastemania

does anyone actually make any money doing this ??
my experience thus far is alot of running around and waiting for parts for what appears to be not alot of money . Also the amount of time it seems to suck in is ridiculous with custs can you come around after 5 when home etc ,then the hassle of them hovering about watching you expecting you to work miracles. I am Not a very experienced breakdown engineer but this side of the trade really does seem like dead wood to me . Think i will stick to installs it pays my mortgage lol .

ben doing breakdowns for a year now before i started i did the mr combi one day course and erad the combi fault finding book (cant rememeber author) and i must say it has been a great earner i can certainly earn more doing breakdowns thans installs if you compare on hourly rate. i think the main thing with fault finding from my own experience is knowing sequence of operation and being competent in the use of a multimeter and not being afraid to get stuck in. and also not being afraid to charge a decent rate for your services. if they want you to go out after 5.00 then charge em for it.

I do a lot of repairs / breakdown work and I also prefer it to installs based on what you earn for less work as posted above

I prefer breakdown to installs, a lot more profitable. Need to use more of the grey matter as well.

i earn plenty from both tbh , but i enjoy breakdowns more, i did one monday 3 hours earnt 110 quid plus a chance to quote on a new install for there brother. had a txt today to say all was great still and there very happy everything

i charge £50.00 per hour for breakdowns plus i put £20.00 on for hassle factor if i have to pick up a part. what does everyone else charge.

I only do breakdowns, but I work for a company, so get paid by the hour whatever I do anyway. It can be very difficult, but you can also get some easy ones, such as topping up system pressure and resetting after the gas has run out on the gas meter to name a few. You need to use your head and have a good knowledge of sequences etc. But I have found that using the manufacturer is also very good to do. Things like sequences, resistance values and any known problems can be easy to find after a quick phone call. Depends on the manufacturer and who you talk to there, but most of them are helpful. You just need to be careful if they suggest changing loads of parts, they want the £££££s!

I really enjoy breakdowns, i'm still very new but as said above you have to use your brain, you dont have to lug boilers around so you save your knees and back and get copious amounts of tea, happy days. Oh yeh and a decent rate

ben doing breakdowns for a year now before i started i did the mr combi one day course and erad the combi fault finding book (cant rememeber author) and i must say it has been a great earner i can certainly earn more doing breakdowns thans installs if you compare on hourly rate. i think the main thing with fault finding from my own experience is knowing sequence of operation and being competent in the use of a multimeter and not being afraid to get stuck in. and also not being afraid to charge a decent rate for your services. if they want you to go out after 5.00 then charge em for it.

what was that like ? would you recommend it ? i went on the worcester bosch cdi course which was pretty good and also have the combi fault finding book which is very informative and was sent some very good info from kirkgas on here
ive done a few breakdowns but main income comes from installs but id prefer to get more into the breakdown side

What I charge depends on what time of day it is and who it is, whether theres chance of more repeat work etc. If I can fit it in on my rounds then it's usually just the standard rate. If I have to go there at 1am on Sunday then it's different.

i would recommend the mr combi to anyone with no prior experience of fault finding. though all you do is fault finding using a multimeter no gas involved but it shows you how test the ususal stuff. take your own multimeter. the ones are pricey for a basic draper multimeter. you get butties etc for dinner and the bloke (george i think he's a pleasent enough guy). i thought it was worth the money i paid £120.00 i made it back on my first boiler fault. off on the owrcester course on the 25th at bradford yippee just round the corner.

MY 100 th post i feel sp proud of myself

I have one rate £60 per hour + mileage @ £0.50 per mile
Any parts are at the least + 50 %
It depends on many things but most Is dependent on if your Any good as a lot of folk simply replace parts until it works
That is where the Money is made,you have to know what you are doing

Aha then thats where i am going wrong because my rates are way to cheap by looks of it ,i openly admit on occasions wrong diagnostics but my install rate is good good earner and thus far my boiler repair experience is proving a nuisance.

I prefer installs but my knees prefer breakdowns. My eyes prefer bathrooms and leadwork, my muscles like steelwork. My pocket on the other hand has no preference over how it gets filled.

Breakdowns are like jobbing plumbing. Get enough of either to fill your day and you will make a few quid. Whether i can be bothered with them is another thing.
Personally i make much more on installs.

good points there tamz ,have been doing them off and on for few months now and never seem to earn that good money compared to installs . E.g boiler change few hours work for few hundred quid and imo less stress and time consuming .Gonna stick at them tho as when quite can pay some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
Don't really know, maybe try setting P10 to...
Replies
Views
B
I would say no not for now as above but...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Back