Boiler change & relocation | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler change & relocation in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mat_wye

Hello to all (i'm Mat)

I've recently bought a house with an old open vent Potterton Suprima 70 fitted with copper tank ect.... The boiler has given up and i've been advised to change to a combi system and relocate the boiler to where the copper tank sits upstairs inside a cupboard.....

The guy who is quoting has priced for an Ideal Independant C35 combi > are these any good?? i have 3 young children and i dont want to spend alot of money that i dont have on a boiler that constantly breaks down....

Many thanks in advance for any help / advice

Mat

with three kids id stick with the set up you have and just swap the boiler but thats just me

Combis aren't the best solution in every scenario. How many bathrooms do you have? What's the possibility of needing two hot taps open at the same time (with 3 kids, I'd say quite high!), what's you mains pressure and flow rate like?

I agree with Bod - swap the boiler, lag the cylinder really well to minimise standing heat losses, and you'll appreciate that tank full of hot water on bath night!

2 bathrooms but the upstairs one has an electric shower, the engineer advised that the current setup was badly installed (15mm feed & return & gas supply) plus its right at the back of the property.... ??

with three kids id stick with the set up you have and just swap the boiler but thats just me

X2.........its always the better option to have a cylinder with immersion for back up when you have kids imho.

I would put up your location on here and get a few people to give you a quote.

ok, would the new replacement boiler need a 22mm gas feed? or would a 15mm be ok...

I've 3 kids, 2 showers and we are happy with our combi.
But
it might not be right for you.
I would get 3 quotes from local gas engineers with good reputations and listen carefully to their advise.

I second mrs t p. what good is a cylinder full of hot water on bath night when it takes 1hr to re heat?

If you have good mains pressure and on a budget get a combi. Get the 35 if you can stretch the extra £75? It's an ideal logic rebranded and it's an excellent boiler. But as many threads will show it's not the boiler that makes or brakes it it's the installer. Go with what I recommend to you by who ever looks at job. The best set up if you have good mains pressure would be an unvented cylinder.

2 bathrooms but the upstairs one has an electric shower, the engineer advised that the current setup was badly installed (15mm feed & return & gas supply) plus its right at the back of the property.... ??

cylinders and tanks are too 'old skool' if its a cack system,bite the bullet cancel florida this year,have a complete system fitted rads and all,either a Vaillant combi,or if you are really roger nosh (posh) go for a unvented,dont let them Worcestor tarts pull your pants down either.

Personally, I think combis are ideal in most circumstances. 5 people all using the hot water on a system with poor recovery and standing losses, against a combi with instantaneous, everlasting hot water? The only trade off being single outlet use.

The ideal is a cracking boiler although personally I fit the logic plus, it will have a better warranty.

Vaillant and Worcester are both overpriced for no good reason.

I would disagree, over sized for heating, undersized for decent hot water performance. The only plus is you get a bit more cupboard space to put more crap in and forget about for 5 years.

In this instance though, either would be o.k really. If money is an issue, replace existing boiler like for like, if money is not so much of an issue replace boiler and cylinder with a high recovery coil. Somewhere in between will get you a conversion to combi if you are happy with all your eggs in one basket.

cylinders and tanks are too 'old skool' if its a cack system,bite the bullet cancel florida this year,have a complete system fitted rads and all,either a Vaillant combi,or if you are really roger nosh (posh) go for a unvented,dont let them Worcestor tarts pull your pants down either.
WB boys rule bunny boy!

I always prefer system boiler and unvented cylinder over a combi. They are both mains fed but I always find you get a lot better performance from the cylinder on the hot water. There are some very competitive prices out there now on the cylinders if you haggle your suppliers down. And I always go with Vaillant on the boiler. Very reliable in my experience.

I had some problems with a couple of ideal boilers a few years back. Not used them since then not sure how much they have improved.

Now I'm really confused.

Do any of the knowledgeable peeps live near Bognor Regis? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
there are many facters to look at what is...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
The Orion is about 65% efficient so not great...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Back