boiler change | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler change in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the pict

I am changing from a old oil fired trianco to a new boiler what pipe work changes can I expect it is very unlikely it's a straight swap, at present there are two 1" pipes on the left top and bottom is this the hot water heating ? and two 3/4" on the right top and bottom for the radiators, as I live in a remote area getting a heating engineer is as likely as the second coming of Christ happening in Glen Trool forrest,
Pict.

Hi and welcome.

It is most likely that you have to have a condensing boiler installed. These can be any type of boiler*** (combi, system, utility). The condensing part refers to the re-heating of the flue gases. Due to this, an extra pipe will need to be installed to drain the condensate (slightly acidic water).

This is the major change of pipework.

Referring to the four pipes mentioned one side will be water and the other the radiators (at least this is what to expect). Each pair of those pipes should have a pump and a zone valve (silver box on the flow pipe). You can think of these zone valves as water switches. If the heating is calling for heat the heating zone valve will open the water circuit (and close when the heating's satisfied).

Finally, you have the oil pipe.

Most likely, the pipework will need to be altered as all boilers have their flow and return connections in different places. The alterations will generally be fairly minimal though. The oil line will probably have to be moved as well.

Building regulations say that when a new boiler is installed you have to have: condensing boiler*, pump, room thermostat, programmer, thermostatic radiator valves (all rooms except where room stat is), a separate fused spur (usually 5 amp), a fire valve correctly fitted and there are a few other matters e.g. the flue termination.

*in most cases.

The installer might deem it more sensible to change your pipework around so you only have two pipes (one flow and one return) coming from the boiler. The flow will have the pump on it, then a tee in the pipe and after this a zone valve for the hot water and a zone valve for the central heating. This means that instead of running two pumps (if that's your set up at the moment) you'd only need to run one. And the second one you can keep (in storage) in case the first one fails.

You've not asked for prices and I don't know the size of your house, but generally your looking at a bill for around £2,500 to £3,000 and 3-4 man days. I tend to work with someone else for one day and finish off on my own the next day on my installations. This means you're without central heating for that time but the immersion heater in the hot water cylinder will still function so you have hot water all the time.

It's important that you choose someone belonging to a competent persons scheme (usually OFTEC) as installing a new boiler is notifiable and normally the boiler's warranty is only valid when it's installed by an OFTEC Technician.

*** Edit ... when I say any type of boiler I don't mean any type of boiler is suitable for your house. I doubt a combi boiler is suitable for instance. More information is needed (number of rooms/radiators their size, number of bathrooms, baths, showers, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that I think I will get a OFTEC guy I know to do this as I would probably spend my time running around looking for all the little bits of gubbins to alter the pipe work
Pict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Original reply deleted because I misread question.
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Back