Boiler change | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler change in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

H2ODAN

I've just a question about changing boilers, as i'm not gas safe what can i do when i change a boiler. Would i just need to get someone that is gase safe to come and detach the gas from the boiler and then put back into new.

All work on & connecting a gas boiler must be done by a Gas Safe Reg installer. Then registered.

run hot cold flow and return to rough locations then call in gas registered fella to hang boiler and do all the connections. your not really supposed to hang the boiler and pipe up the water side but some people do, but they then struggle to find an gas engineer who will comission it and register it. when ever a plumber or a diyer calls us and asks us to commission and register it we tell them no as its not worth it and its illegal.

no wrong Rob

told him I dont sign illegal work !!!

and I did not spent all them hours reading the books and all the hard work to gain the knowledge and then sign off his work

for little reward !!!

no wrong Rob

told him I dont sign illegal work !!!

and I did not spent all them hours reading the books and all the hard work to gain the knowledge and then sign off his work

for little reward !!!

GREAT!! Totally agree. Wish all Gas Safe Engineers took this approach!

Totally agree i know engineers who quite happily sign off bolilers they have not installed .

You must not touch the gas or connect the flue.

or fit the boiler to the wall, as the commissioning paperwork includes checks that the appliance has been fitted properly
so technically the commissioning person should have fitted the appliance to the wall as well ( i know this doesnt always happen but it should)

run hot cold flow and return to rough locations then call in gas registered fella to hang boiler and do all the connections. your not really supposed to hang the boiler and pipe up the water side but some people do, but they then struggle to find an gas engineer who will comission it and register it. when ever a plumber or a diyer calls us and asks us to commission and register it we tell them no as its not worth it and its illegal.

didnt read all the posts before replying, so i have just written what is here as well

Just to play Devils Advocate as I wouldn't condone builders fitting boilers either but...

Is it not better to have a Gas Safe engineer come and fully inspect, test and commission an install than to have no one competent check it and then put it in to operation?

I know of several such installs. I've gone in to service it for example, pulled something up and then it's come to light that "the bloke who did the extension" fitted it". So what do you do then? Condemn it on the spot? Even though it may be something like a missing flue guard? Not the best way to keep your customer happy I wouldn't think. You should of course report the builder if you can get their details, but once again, how many times has the customer fallen out with the builder and not kept their details or receipts if they ever got one.

if i do service and notice something aint right i list it on the certificate! and that's about it ! I am not there to sign of boiler and register it with Gas Safe as is not what I have been called for ! If install is ID then is warning notice and ask to cup it ,if they disagree i just collect payment an go home ,If it will be ID to the people I will call transco out !!!

will never ever SIGN any ones illegal WORK !!!!

Why not? You're not certifying someones illegal work. You're certifying that you have inspected the work and that it fully complies with Install instructions and all current regulations. If it does, where's the problem?

Scenario 2; Mr DIY has done a self install in his own home but asks you to come and check it, fire and commission it. Are you refusing that one too?

get a feeling you cant please both sides here so you have to stand on one, refuse, it was his head on the block now its yours you should take it apart bit by bit, can you check the flue to your satisfaction that said we do as we think best

Don't get me wrong, if I ever get involved in anything like this, the finest of fine toothcombs and the largest of magnifying glasses come out and NOTHING is allowed through. If it can't be easily accessed, tough ****, someone needs to start disassembling things. If it can't be checked, it doesn't get OK'd, simple as that.

I just think it's a bit short sighted flatly refusing to get involved, often your customer hasn't done anything wrong and acted in good faith. You can get highly moralistic about it, but I'm not prepared to lose good custom for the sake of (in my opinion) misguided morals. I will report the miscreants when possible, and it will be a high price that goes in to sort the issue, but you should be able to ascertain the safety of any installation and if you recommission it, where's the problem?

Don't get me wrong, if I ever get involved in anything like this, the finest of fine toothcombs and the largest of magnifying glasses come out and NOTHING is allowed through. If it can't be easily accessed, tough ****, someone needs to start disassembling things. If it can't be checked, it doesn't get OK'd, simple as that.

I just think it's a bit short sighted flatly refusing to get involved, often your customer hasn't done anything wrong and acted in good faith. You can get highly moralistic about it, but I'm not prepared to lose good custom for the sake of (in my opinion) misguided morals. I will report the miscreants when possible, and it will be a high price that goes in to sort the issue, but you should be able to ascertain the safety of any installation and if you recommission it, where's the problem?

I agree. It's not just a case of the money either (Honest!) As long as you make sure EVERYTHING is as it should be and you're satisfied and confident to put your name to it, why shouldn't you relieve some builder of £200?! In short, if you're not 100% happy don't do it.

How about the holes drilled for the flue and boiler is ready to go up, i supply the boiler. About how much am i looking at paying a plumber to do the job of fitting it?
Much appreciate your time guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, approx. 2-3 hours.
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Back