Boiler condesate drain - what connector? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler condesate drain - what connector? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shefflad

Hi all,

The new combi comes with a plastic flexi conduit style hose with a rubber / silicon push fitting on each end (one white, one grey - white is slightly more malleable than the grey). I'm using a swept tee in the basin 32mm waste below the trap, but for the life of me I can't find a suitable connector from this flexi to the 32mm.

The nearest I found was a 32mm to 22mm push adapter, but the condensate drain hose is wider than this on the rubber end, and narrower on the flexi.

Any suggestions please?

TIA. :)

Hi Shefflad,

I would use a small piece of overflow pipe into the flexible hose then use your 32mmx22m reducer off of that.
Are you GSR? And is the boiler a Biasi???

It took your suggestion to have one of those "ahhhh" light bulb moments - the hose was still in the bag, once opened and measure the inside diameter of one end is 21.2mm - the 22mm overflow will sit inside perfect!

The boiler is a Glow Worm Betacom. I'm not GSR, but doing most the piping and house bashing myself in readiness for a GSR bod to fit and commission.

Many thanks, APP. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming off any boiler I normally use 21.5mm solvent weld (overflow pipe) and then PTS do a rubber boss which fits inside any 32mm fitting.

Hope its the new "A" rated Beatacom that you are fitting ! your not allow`d to fit the "B" rated one any more, amazed that you can find a GS engineer who will put his name to some other persons install. We have been advised by GSR not to sign off other peoples work !! :icon9:

I thought the condensate was classed as part of the flue, and therefore you must be gsr to work on it? Could be wrong.

It took your suggestion to have one of those "ahhhh" light bulb moments - the hose was still in the bag, once opened and measure the inside diameter of one end is 21.2mm - the 22mm overflow will sit inside perfect!

The boiler is a Glow Worm Betacom. I'm not GSR, but doing most the piping and house bashing myself in readiness for a GSR bod to fit and commission.

Many thanks, APP. :)

To be honest if you have to ask these type of questions you are not competent to fit Gas Appliances.Fitting the boiler yourself will instantly void your home insurance.Dont mind customers fitting rads to save money,but hanging boilers is breaking the law if you are not GSR...

I would not fit one in my chicken shed, the B rate also needed a 22m automatic bypass under the boiler, not fitted no insurance but no benk mark filled in you stuck any way. glow-worm did not make these boilers, if you dont flush all your pipe work out you will have a hell of a problem with noise!

These are just some reasons y in the long run it will be cheaper to get a HE in.

I never said I was working on the gas or hanging the boiler. Why are many folk quick to assume without being in possession of all of the facts? I'm perfectly within my rights and skill comfort zone to do much of the preparation in readiness for the GSR bod to FIT AND COMMISSION as I already stated. The bathroom sink waste is still a waste until the drain is fitted which will be done by the GSR. Are you telling me that a heating engineer will sniff test the entire waste / soil stack to ensure gas tightness if he connects into it?!

Thanks to those that helped, I'm just trying to get what's required and a lot of the work done in readiness. Yes, I can solder and it's all done in copper, so it's not like I'm someone with no idea using pushfit. Damn my non-competence in not knowing every single connector in existence. ;)

we tend to assume the worse sometimes because we do not want to give out advise which could lead to an unsafe situation, no offence is ment by this. We like to promote the giving of good but safe advice, this sometimes may require questions that the poster might not like, thats just the way it is.

In theroy the condense pipe is part of the boilers flue system and flue gasses can escape into this pipe in certain situations, its the duty of a GSR engineer to install/varify it has been fitted correctly by law. Its part of the benchmark/checklist.

But at the end of the day, if he is getting somebody in to sign off, then they are signing off the lot. Not just Gas but flue, and Condense.
If he ain't then he wont have any warranty etc, so it really is his choice. I reckon as he is only asking for advice on a condense fitting its pretty safe to advise. If he wanted advice on flue or gas etc then jump on him.

Cheers. :)

Is that a valid point though - if a GSR connects the condensate drain into a sink waste then apart from making sure his connection is sound, what about the rest of the waste / soil pipework? It's not practicable to follow it all the way through the house checking every join is it?

Food for thought... I over analyse everything. :)

i agree with the op this idea that a condensate is part of the flue system is rubbish. Were told on one hand any part fitted to a boiler or flue system must be as manufatured and suitable then were told to use what previously was used for low preasure overflows which is often connected using what we previously used for washing machine waste pipes

!i agree with the op this idea that a condensate is part of the flue system is rubbish.!

thats rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!! if the trap is not full??????????

i agree with the op this idea that a condensate is part of the flue system is rubbish. Were told on one hand any part fitted to a boiler or flue system must be as manufatured and suitable then were told to use what previously was used for low preasure overflows which is often connected using what we previously used for washing machine waste pipes
Would have to disagree with that particular point steve.
The condensate is 'part and parcel' of the flue system. Potentially combustion gasses may enter a property through this if it is not installed or operating correctly.

Wither the non-gas qualified OP is looking for advice on fitting his own boiler is open for question.

But at the end of the day, if he is getting somebody in to sign off, then they are signing off the lot. Not just Gas but flue, and Condense.
If he ain't then he wont have any warranty etc, so it really is his choice. I reckon as he is only asking for advice on a condense fitting its pretty safe to advise. If he wanted advice on flue or gas etc then jump on him.

no one can honestly confirm the truth of posts on an open forum, hence the need to show caution. If the poster is doing all the work apart from the gas side then fair enough, why somebody needs to ask certain questions that should be answered by there registered installer is food for thought. Either way i dont think its unreasonable to be cautious when answering these types of questions.

the correct answer is the condense needs to be installed to the boilers manufactures instructions.

My own condensate pipe has been discharging into a bucket for the last year. Can't be bothered to run it into my soil stack.

Would have to disagree with that particular point steve.
The condensate is 'part and parcel' of the flue system. Potentially combustion gasses may enter a property through this if it is not installed or operating correctly.
so you need to know it is "operating correctly"
in which case you need to do a presure test on any soil pipe that you run the condensate into thats going to be fun in a six floor ex council block

^ That's my point exactly, Steve. I just think there's a lot of contradiction involved, if it's deemed to be part of the flue and needs a GSR to connect, then shoving it into a basin waste with solvent weld or pushfit and not pressure testing the entire waste / soil to outside the property is half ar$ed at best.

It can't be one and the other at the same time!

Hi guys what you must remember is we are dealing with GSR and they can`t make their minds up about anything !! :confused5:

so you need to know it is "operating correctly"
in which case you need to do a presure test on any soil pipe that you run the condensate into thats going to be fun in a six floor ex council block
By "installed/operating correctly" I mean it has been fitted and terminating as per MI's/Regs by a qualified person. The trap is filled as per MI's to more or less negate any chance of POC's passing.
Boiler tested and no sign of leaks from install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hope to be living the French way next year!
Replies
Views
Back