Boiler cuts out after 30 seconds | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler cuts out after 30 seconds in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

I don’t have the first clue about boilers so I really need Your help.
I have a glow worm micron boiler which looks about 20 years old along with a water tank.

we had a radiator changed 2 days ago and last night the boiler switched its self off.
the boiler we have is very plain with no window to see the flame or pressure gauge and only has 2 lights, one says reset and one says burner on. They have been flashing like mad but we have no manual for the boiler as we have only recently moved in.
The guy who fitted the radiator says there is no air in the system so it isn’t an airlock. I turned the temperate knob anti clockwise to turn it off and the turned it back clockwise and the boiler started up but then cut out after about 30 seconds. I know this is very vague but any help or tips would be appreciated. Thank you

1. If the system was drained down to fit the new radiator, then the plumber is quite adventurous to suggest there is no air in the system, unless he / she has specifically checked it.
2. The symptoms you describe are generally caused by poor circulation of the heating water. This can be caused by numerous things, including (in order of likeliness):
2a. Air locks.
2b. Faulty motorised valves.
2c. A failing or faulty pump.
2d. Blocked pipework.
3. If the boiler failed on first use after fitting of new radiator, then the plumber who fitted the new radiator has at least a moral obligation to diagnose, and preferably fix, the problem. If the problem is his or hers, I'd expect the fix for free, otherwise you would have to pay for it.
4. If it worked for a day or two with the new radiator, then it may well be a coincidental problem. You might ask the plumber to diagnose and fix, but expect to pay for this.

1. If the system was drained down to fit the new radiator, then the plumber is quite adventurous to suggest there is no air in the system, unless he / she has specifically checked it.
2. The symptoms you describe are generally caused by poor circulation of the heating water. This can be caused by numerous things, including (in order of likeliness):
2a. Air locks.
2b. Faulty motorised valves.
2c. A failing or faulty pump.
2d. Blocked pipework.
3. If the boiler failed on first use after fitting of new radiator, then the plumber who fitted the new radiator has at least a moral obligation to diagnose, and preferably fix, the problem. If the problem is his or hers, I'd expect the fix for free, otherwise you would have to pay for it.
4. If it worked for a day or two with the new radiator, then it may well be a coincidental problem. You might ask the plumber to diagnose and fix, but expect to pay for this.

thanks for this, he said he was struggling to get the pressure back up in the water tank so he said he cheated and put the water straight into the radiator/towel radiator

he was messing about the thing pictured below for hours trying to get pressure.

he will be coming back tomorrow as he has fitted our bathroom and kitchen. Turns out we also have a leak in the kitchen under the sink at the copper pipe next to the stopcock. We have managed to stop that for the minute but god knows what’s happened there as well! You need to know about every trade so you can question things easier lol!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 21

Similar plumbing topics

Yes spot on eg the hottest pipe out the top of...
Replies
Views
thanks for your help
Replies
Views
B
No the installers need to come out
Replies
Views
A
Hi all, I have a viessmann vitoden 100 w...
Replies
Views
Abbie S
A
Hi Shaun, you were right. It took a few days...
Replies
Views
Back