Boiler cutting out and cold cold radiators | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler cutting out and cold cold radiators in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

greenhorn

I have a Potterton Netaheat 50 which heats 5 rads downstairs and 4 upstairs (incuding a bypass rad in the bathroom). It is an open vented, fully pumped system fitted with a combined feed and vent.

During the summer, many of the rads were removed for redecorating and the valves fully opened on each end. When the heating was needed a month or so back, I noticed that only the downstairs rads were working.

I had the boiler serviced and the engineer said that the upstairs was not working due to a blockage in the system which needed power-flushing. I did not book him in but consulted Google.

I found several forums where people had similar probs to mine and one excellent answer which advised them not to proceed with a power-flush until they had ensured the system was “balanced” – especially if rads had been removed for decorating!

I tested the system by shutting off the downstairs rads and surprise, surprise, the upstairs ones all worked! - proving that the engineer was a liar (despite being Corgi registered - or so he claimed!) out to fleece me for a few hundred quid (he had also said that if the power-flush did not solve the problem, then he would need to replace the pump as well).

Unfortunately, I cannot balance the system as recommended (I have no radiator thermostats to start with) and the boiler only seems to work for 3 minutes before cutting off for about 10.

I stated by shutting down all the rads and only having the downstairs ones open a quarter of a turn, but the boiler only runs for a few minutes before shutting down for about 10 – and this was taking all day. I assumed that this was because no water was getting through to the rads. I then tried doing things in reverse by starting with all the rads fully open and then seeing how much I can close them without losing too much heat. I decided I should try shutting down the bypass rad (as that seems to be the only one getting hot), but that shuts down the system and I have to press the reset button under the boiler.

Even with all of the rad valves fully open the boiler only runs for about 3 mins before shutting down for 10 and I seem to be getting nowhere. It is a freezing cold day (temp should get up to about 4 degrees outside). My room stat reads 9 degrees and is calling for heat.

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE?

what is the boiler stat set to ?
what speed is the pump on ?
is it a s plan or y plan system ?
where is the pump upstairs or down ?
what is the condition of the water in the system and f/e tank water ?

Sure its not just air in the system? might just need bleeding?

Also another suggestion is to check the f and e tank in the loft, check the ballvalve isnt faulty as the tank may have run dry and if the ballvalve is at fault (not letting water into tank) then the heating system will be only pumping around whats left in the system.

just a suggestion, hope it helps mate.:)

Thanks to Plumber Dan and Sundan,

I backflushed/filled the system and still had the same problem. The water that came out was clean with lots of Furnox (it actually frothed as if it were soapy).

My suspicions turned to the pump even though it was running, it was clearly a circulatory problem and as I had found a replacement for £42, decided to change it.

Immediately everything was working better than ever. I have a nice warm house!

many thanks again

Greenhorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Yeah I think Ill have a Hive thermostat in...
Replies
Views
With CH selected on, if you open a hot tap...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
Suggest monitoring and timing exactly...
Replies
Views
Back