Boiler fault finding | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler fault finding in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danv44444

Hi Guys, I'm getting lots of calls for boiler breakdowns at the moment. I always go and have a look to see what the problem is and I get a few right first but I also get a few wrong and sometimes change parts and it doesn't resolve the problem, but I always undo the replacement parts packets carefully so I can take them back if not needed. I always charge the customer less if I think it's taken long than it should and use It as a learning experience. Do any of you guys have a set way you go about resolving breakdowns to get it right more often?

I just want to learn and get better at it any help would be much appreciated?

are there and books or anything like that that can help? Any good course?

cheers guys

john reginald on combis and central heating is a good place to start off amazon

I only started fixing boilers 4 years ago i also purchased said book went on the mr combi course which is ok if you have just started on boiler repairs and been on a couple of boiler training courses but i know in my case the more you do the better you get and become more confident i always try to prove the part is faulty:detective: before i replace even if that means a call to boiler manufactuers to get information i used to ring my brother in law a lot in my first year of doing brakdowns as this was the job he has done for a lot of years but rarely ring him now, which helped me alot ,but i would think that we all get better with time,

Know the basic multimeter checks- dead checks, resistance, reverse polarity etc.
John Reginald book is good start for basic info.
Get yourself a notebook/laptop and put all the manufacturer PDF's you can find on it. The fault finding guides can point you in right direction a lot of the time.
Utilise manufactures help lines and friends/colleagues.
The odd manufacturer course is helpful.

There is no substitute for experience and with time you will get better.

Always work safely with electrics.

Know the basic multimeter checks- dead checks, resistance, reverse polarity etc.
John Reginald book is good start for basic info.
Get yourself a notebook/laptop and put all the manufacturer PDF's you can find on it. The fault finding guides can point you in right direction a lot of the time.
Utilise manufactures help lines and friends/colleagues.
The odd manufacturer course is helpful.

There is no substitute for experience and with time you will get better.

Always work safely with electrics.

Be careful with manufacturers fault charts though as they do tend to point to pcb quite alot when its not that at fault.

Double check everything before you order parts and when you get it right take the parts apart and see how they work it will help with understanding.

Look at the boiler and make a note of all the parts in the boiler work out what the sequence will be and you will notice all boilers work the same.

I'm facing the same problem or was. It's a case of having a go and learning as much as you can. I've made mistakes, but the thing I find is that the knowledge is there but the confidence is lacking. I've done a couple of Vailant courses and doing a boiler breakdown course in Feb. This forum is a good place to learn, as if I'm unsure which way to go then the advice of comrades on here goes a long way to helping out on the job.

Im going through this at the moment. Gone from installation to servicing and now to breakdowns. Need to build more confidence and knowlege though so hopefully this forum can help me . Attended a Biasi course but i wouldnt recommend it. I hear baxi is really good to learn fault finding.

Been on a baxi and ideal course recently, the ideal one won hands down. He went through every bit of fault finding on the logics, baxis felt more like a sales talk IMO

thanks for the advice. The Biasi course was exact same just sell sell sell.

Been on a baxi and ideal course recently, the ideal one won hands down. He went through every bit of fault finding on the logics, baxis felt more like a sales talk IMO

I Did the baxi coures i thought it was just sales too.

Which Baxi course did you go on. The one that is dedicated to breakdowns, or the one that gives you an insight on all Baxi products, telling you why they think Baxi is the best. Sounds like you guys went on this one.

Last edited:
Every manufacturers course I have been on has seemed to be our boilers are the best etc etc. Always good food though.

Which Baxi course did you go on. The one that is dedicated to breakdowns, or the one that gives you an insight on all Baxi products, telling you why they think Baxi is the best. Sounds like you guys went on this one.

Breakdown course they did touch on some breakdowns but it just reaked of sales especially the 10 mins he took bigging up there terrible jigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
Oh that's a shame. Some of our other members...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
It could be numerous things, including a flow...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Back