boiler fault | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler fault in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nysk2008

Hi there,

I am trying to get in the breakdown side and learn some stuff. I have to go to a breakdown tommoz and they have no DHW or CH, the boiler is a Potterton Netaheat Eclectronic (thats all I have the mo, sorry) The customer say it has normally clicked and then fired up, then it click, click, clicked and fired up and now nothing. I know this is hard with limited info but just looking for a bit of guidance, I was thinking electrode or APS but I really have limited knowledge. Cheers ALL

As you say limited info .

But the first rule in my book is never believe or listen to the customer.

Do your own thing your own way as you there to fix it not them and this experience will prove good

After all within ten minutes you will know more about the fault than they think they know.

A small addition here I was called to service an Ideal icos and the bloke did not say a word except Hello.

I had a look a the instalation pipe work etc and thought thats a long pipe run in 15mm for a 24 kw boiler.
I then ask if it worked ok before I did anything and he said yes it is and wanted a service before the winter.

Long story short I fired it up a couple of times let it get warm then check the wp at the boiler and it were only 14mb.

I have looked at more Icos and isars than there have been full moons hence I know they cause an explosive ignition if an when they unger gassed.

So I explained that before I service the boiler that the gas supply needs upgrading and lo and behold he came clean and said that it had allways done it

Last edited:
chers mate, i know I going in at the deep end, lets hope i'm a good swimmer

You will be fine MI`s are a must to have for specs of sensors and so on. or tech support depending on the manufacturer

i'll be honest, just been speaking to a chap I know and he explains its a positive pressure boiler and can be nasty, let alone the rope seal as PJF suggested, as a new boy to breakdown, I am going to bottle this one as not 100% but really appreciate all of yout help, thanks aswell to quality for the confodence boost

yes your mate is correct , I have heard of a guy getting a broken arm ,apparently . the pcb is usually the issue or APS hoses crack

i'll be honest, just been speaking to a chap I know and he explains its a positive pressure boiler and can be nasty, let alone the rope seal as PJF suggested, as a new boy to breakdown, I am going to bottle this one as not 100% but really appreciate all of yout help, thanks aswell to quality for the confodence boost
The best bet here is if you refer the job to someone you know who happy and experienced enough to do the job and then just shadow him.
Just a thought

cheers quality I wish that was the case, I really do. Id love to work along side who could help with the breakdown side and maybe even work for them but in south london it seems like the area is swamped with install guys and no one really technical. gutted. thats why I am having to go in at the deep end. On the plus side, I know my limits, I have guys on my phone who will give me advice and i'm keen as musterd so i'll get there.

Ye the Netaheats are positive pressure. Just make sure you check the seals in the correct way. These boilers are fairly straight forward to diagnose, so might be a good one to look at. But as I say, check the seals.

They are a pretty simple boiler, just notorious for rusting back plates and dodgy case seals. Always FGA above boiler to check for any CO leaks, screws are sometimes missing in the backplate. Gas valves and case seals are obsolete for these I think now. Have a go at diagnosing, total breakdowns are much easier than intermitent faults. You have to start somewhere, if you cant work out the problem then dont charge the customer but atleast have a go at it.

you will need a long bladed cross head screw driver to remove cover

cheers for everyones replies, sorry not got back soone. turns out was the aps. I could get there straight away so customer got another engineer who switched the tubes anyway after a bit grief and what should have been an easy find its sorted.

my spelling mistakes explaind!!!! I could Not get there sooner, amongst others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
"While zone 2 is running if I turn up the...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
With CH selected on, if you open a hot tap...
Replies
Views
fill only to 1bar when cold.
Replies
Views
Back