Boiler firing up but no ch | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler firing up but no ch in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I've noticed my boiler keeps firing up but the central heating not coming on, the thermostat is set to 16 so not expecting the heating to come on as its quite mild , the boiler fires up and heats to 70 then turns off but no one was using the hot water?. Am I going crazy or should I call someone out?

Ok, to please @rpm as he's clearly on his monthly.

The pre heat feature of a combi is there to keep your hot water heat exchanger hot. The reason is so you save water as you don't have to draw off as much water before hot water is delivered to the tap.
So a couple times a day you may notice your boiler fires up for apparently no reason. All it's doing is heating up your central heating water within the boiler and passing it through the hot water heat exchanger to keep it hot so it's ready for when you require hot water.

I don't fully agree with amgasservices idea of a dripping tap keeping the boiler in hot water mode as more than a drip would be required for that. However if you do have 1 or 2 dripping taps, this will cool the hot water heat exchanger quicker when not been used so you may find your boiler firing up more frequently to keep it hot.

Hope this helps and satisfies @rpm

Ok, to please @rpm as he's clearly on his monthly.

The pre heat feature of a combi is there to keep your hot water heat exchanger hot. The reason is so you save water as you don't have to draw off as much water before hot water is delivered to the tap.
So a couple times a day you may notice your boiler fires up for apparently no reason. All it's doing is heating up your central heating water within the boiler and passing it through the hot water heat exchanger to keep it hot so it's ready for when you require hot water.

I don't fully agree with amgasservices idea of a dripping tap keeping the boiler in hot water mode as more than a drip would be required for that. However if you do have 1 or 2 dripping taps, this will cool the hot water heat exchanger quicker when not been used so you may find your boiler firing up more frequently to keep it hot.

Hope this helps and satisfies @rpm
I have seen the heating on a Baxi combi 80 not come on because a bathroom tap had a drip. So yes in my opinion this can actually happen mate.

I have seen the heating on a Baxi combi 80 not come on because a bathroom tap had a drip. So yes in my opinion this can actually happen mate.
Really? Wouldn't think they'd be that sensitive but I'll take your word for it. However, op isn't saying her heating isn't coming on. She's saying it fires up, goes to 70 then shuts off which would most likely point to a pre heat.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
Back