Boiler firing up when cold tap turned off | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler firing up when cold tap turned off in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

on31ll

Posting in here because i know the rules on gas info etc i am not after gas advice just i remeber it maybe being solved with a pressure reducing valve or somthing ?

As the title says really new boiler but new water mains at the same time ! So really just after what could it be ? Heard of it before ? Boiler is a glow worm

think you need a non return valve on the main its bouncing the diaphram when you shut the cold tap you need to stop the shock wave getting to the boiler

Normally a hot water dead leg somewhere..i.e a piece of exsisting hot water pipe that has been capped and not in use anymore, if this is the case and there is a compression cap on it undo it gently until the air stops and water comes out

Thinkin about it there might be a small dead leg on hot and cold ! Will trim that back ! If it still happens will fit nrv ! Cheers boys

Depends on the boiler but it could be the preheat doing it's job.

Posting in here because i know the rules on gas info etc i am not after gas advice just i remeber it maybe being solved with a pressure reducing valve or somthing ?

As the title says really new boiler but new water mains at the same time ! So really just after what could it be ? Heard of it before ? Boiler is a glow worm

What boiler is it? If WB CDi this can be dialled out in a software setting very useful

I agree. What happens is when the cold tap is turned on water pressure reduces slightly and water is drawn back out of the boiler. When the cold tap is shut the pressure increases and there is a small flow back into the boiler which activates the flow switch. A NRV will solve this problem but you then have the issue of not enough pipework to take up the small expansion of water when it is heated so have to fit the shock arrestor to prevent over pressurisation of the hot water side of the boiler.

Ha ha cheap and cheerful ! Does the job ! And price paid for it is cheaper than one repair on a eb or valliant ! Its the mothers anyway !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

With CH selected on, if you open a hot tap...
Replies
Views
Yes you should be able to cut them off in...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Thank you for your comment! If you don't mind...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back