Boiler firing when the cold water is turned on | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler firing when the cold water is turned on in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

Hope you’re all doing well.

I had a new bathroom installed recently which involved new piping, and also capping off some redundant pipes. Since then, my boiler (pretty new Vaillant combi) turns on when I turn the cold water on. I’ve done some reading and it seems like the problem is air trapped in the pipes. I don’t think I can release the air as I suspect it’s trapped in the ‘dead-leg’ pipes which have been cut off and capped - these are now inside my bathroom wall, starting aprox 1 meter high and probably going up in the loft and then coming down again somewhere else?? (I used to have a traditional boiler and the water tank was in the loft).
The recommended advice online is to have a non-return valve and a mini shock-absorber installed to the cold feed on the boiler. Is that difficult, expensive? Will it look bulky?
Is there any other way to fix the issue? If I can identify the pipe where the air is trapped, could I make a small hole inside it to release the air and then cover the hole somehow?

Also, the pipes cut by the plumber used to feed my old shower, which I’ve moved. Should the plumber have left the capped pipes inside the wall or should he have cut them from the loft, so that they are always accessible? What’s the common practice?
Can I remove them not somehow? Perhaps cut them and cap them in the loft?

Here they are in the photo.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 019005CB-E2FF-464C-AB75-F9B25C17E5EB.jpeg
    019005CB-E2FF-464C-AB75-F9B25C17E5EB.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 43
I think you’ve answered a lot of your own questions in relation to the boiler firing - yes, it’s due to capped dead leg pipework, any good plumber would have insisted they be removed. Pipes shouldn’t be left capped anywhere unless temporary or no greater than twice the pipe size diameter.

Bad to leave compression cap ends in a non accessible wall

Yes you should be able to cut them off in loft, remove as much of the unused pipe as possible.
I always remove completely- not because I’m a strict follower of best practice, more that I’m tight and it all goes in the scrap box!!

Similar plumbing topics

Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Back