Boiler flow and return valve worcester combi | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler flow and return valve worcester combi in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonyacktar

I am about to replace a diverter valve on a combi (cdi 24) but have been told by a friend who works for BG not to close the boilers flow and return valves and do a system drain-down instead. He reckons that if i close the valves they will leak when i refill the boiler.

Sounds like bull but have any of you guys experienced this.

cheers

yeah, like any valve that hasnt been used in a while theres always a possibility they might leak when used, id listen to your friend he talks sense, could be more hassle than its worse.

Trust your friend. Any more than a few years old and the Worcester iso valves are almost certain to leak if touched.
Been there, seen it, done it myself. Learnt by my mistake.
Funnily enough it was a straight forward diverter job on a Worcester that I learnt this lesson. As I had to go and source iso valves after changing a diaphragm the job took half the day.
Now I do not even look at an iso valve as it will start to drip.

Any valve that doesn't have a packing gland won't get touched

Since I learnt the lesson if this I've only ever fitted gate, stop, or globe

Can you use a freezing machine on the flow and return pipes save emptying and spending loads of time bleeding etc?

if its a combi it wont take long to drain and fill anyways, and when i was on the worcester course they told me there engineers use a 2yr rule on iso valves anything after that then a drain down,

one leaked with me under 2 years so i would just not touch them at all

I had one go on me on a Ravenheat the other day. I risked it because I didn't want to drain it down. I ended up draining down and changing the valve anyway, so yes, trust your mate. And with the money you save not replacing the valve, buy some inhibitor instead! Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Thanks much appreciated , yes those isolation...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Thanks guys. Just finished and managed to set...
Replies
Views
Back