Boiler flue height | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler flue height in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eve

This is my first post so please forgive me if I've put this in the wrong section.

We are in the process of having an Okofen Pellematic boiler (that will provide our central heating and hot water) installed in our garage. The flue went up yesterday and I am concerned about the height of it. The flue is about a foot away from the apex of the roof. The closest buildings to it are approx. 5m away at one side and approx 7.5 - 8m away at the other side. The amount of flue protruding from the slope of the roof is about 2 feet but the top of the flue is just a bit higher than the ridge of the roof. From my very limited understanding of building regs part J (for where the flue should be positioned) I thought that the height of the top of the flue must be a minimum of 2 feet above the ridge.

I am not sure if there is a special reason that means that an Okofen boiler doesn't need as much height or if the installer just hasn't ordered enough flue to get high enough. I don't want to ask the installer about this before I get my facts straight as I don't want to seem like I know his job better than him, but I'm quite concerned about the flue possibly not having enough draw.

Can anyone there please give me a bit of guidance before I speak to the installer about this?

Thanks in advance.

Refer to the manufacturers instructions for the boiler.

There are many factors to consider

Eg pitch of roof. Design of building. Type of appliance. Flue type

if it is a room sealed boiler it will come with a specific vertical roof kit which is desugned by the manufacturer and will basically stick through the roof to a predetermined height as there is a weather collar round the flue at a specific bit, so height is not adjustible, positioning on the roof is dependant or objects around it and the sizes you quote are way beyond causing any hassle,
if the appliance is open flued, then the flue termination needs to be either more than 600mm above the apex or no closer than 1500mm horizontally to the nearest point of the roof,
check the manufacturers instructions that the installer must leave with you there will be diagrams in there for the termination, should be easy to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, Ben this is what I thought as it seems...
Replies
Views
P
As above through the roof. Also I doubt that...
Replies
Views
J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Back