Boiler flue through conservatory. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler flue through conservatory. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jorgen

I've seen a few posts about flues in conny's here before. But each Q is different.
in my case I need some info about regulations regarding flue pipes inside a conservatory. My conservatory is still to be build. The flue comes out of the back wall of the house at nose hight in the middle of the house. The boiler is right behind that wall with around 600mm of pipe and one elbow. I was optioned to extend that flue on the outside with a elbow upwards through the conservatory roof. Min of 300 mm above conservatory roof and an elbow again to straighten the end cap. Simples right?
now a diff conny company says no flue pipes are aloud to be anywhere near inside a conny. Option to move boiler will be massive job!! What are the options and regulations about flues in connys? The boiler is a potterton promax sl with fan.
Can I post pics to explain situation here?

thx.

either move the boiler or bin the conservatory, that is the simple answer, all others are a waste of time and illegal

Depends what boiler you have a vertical flue kit is simple fix

As long as both the air intake and outlet are outside and the termination meets the manufacturers specified distances then you can do what you want with the flue run.

Whether the the flue options needed are available is another question.

nothing like a length of horizontal and then a vert flue running into your new conservatory

No need to move the boiler, should be able to alter the flue depending on the max flue length permitted and other clearances etc. Get a Gas Safe Registered engineer around for a quote.

image.jpgFlue is black dot in the middle of centre wall. Quote to extend up was from corgi engineer. 300mm above conny roof and 500 below window. Saying pipe is not allowed was Anglian sales saying it was the law.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 126
if anglian wont put in your conservatory then youll have to go elsewhere or take their advice. I assume they have had their fingers burnt in the past and just say this now to save themselves any hassle

I know. But they did their homework and said that build reg state that it's not allowed. :disappointed:
Maybe they should get someone to interpret the regs for the hard of thinking. Btw your first advice was wrong too.

Questions that may need to be considerd. Does the boiler manufacturer allow such a route? What happens when the boiler requires changing? Can I route through the ceiling and out that way instead?

Just found out that there is a plume displacement kit for sale for this model.so I can extend the pipe work. I just wanna know if it's allowed to have the pipe going through a conny.?

Just found out that there is a plume displacement kit for sale for this model.so I can extend the pipe work. I just wanna know if it's allowed to have the pipe going through a conny.?
Sorry but a plume kit wouldn't work as it only extends the inner ( exhaust) flue.

I thought the plume kits just diverted the gases being chucked out of the boiler, and the air intake part was left where it is. If this is the case then you are going to be sucking air into the boiler from the conervatory???

reread post 4, plume diverters are just that, they arent conservatory problem resolvers

Ok thx for that. No plume diverted kit then. So a flue extension kit will be allowed then? Still don't know if flue pipe are allowed inside conny.

It's all ifs.

If the manufacturer still sells flue components for your boiler..........

If you don't exceed the maximum permissible length including allowing for bends......

If you can terminate in a suitable location permissible under building regs......

If you box it in you need inspection hatches.......

Get a gsr in to take a butchers.......

Move the boiler into the loft.

Even if manufacturers allow and the flue is far enough away from the upstairs windows it will look ridiculous having a flue running through the conservatory and you cannot totally box it in either.
If you are going to spend thousands on a nice conservatory do the job right and move the boiler.

Hi, we are having same issue now. Boiler manufacture advised extend flue pipe horizontally by 1 meter and then use vertical terminal. Use support frame inside, to fix flue pipe. What did you do at the end? Did building regs let you do that?

As has been said. Get a GS engineer around to have a look for you. Nothing else will suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
D
As above The Grant instructions tell you to...
Replies
Views
Thank you for responding Chuck, I have booked...
Replies
Views
J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Back