boiler flue | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler flue in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jive_b

Hi,

I live in a converted flat and our one of our neighbours in the same building replaced their old combi boiler with what I assume a condensing boiler with a fan forced gases coming out the flue. This has made it much more noisy for us as the flue is close, the same height and perpendicular to our bedroom window. I was thinking that if the flue headed upwards (rather than straight out through the wall) for a metre or so this would make it much quieter as the gases wouldn't be pointing straight at us. Good idea? I assume this doable? If so is it straighforward or costly?

thanks.

plumeing kit not too dear,gases are harmless water vapour in the main

not sure about that jpm. i certainly wouldnt want to have a flue termination in the middle of my front room, apart from the water vapour getting in the way of the tv
co levels of 100ppm wouldnt mix too well with my glass of merlot.

but to original post.

it would probably cost your neighbour 250 quid, plus scaffolding, if the boiler is capable of doing it.
and if your neighbour wants to.

if the instalation, was correctly done the distances will be up to british standards,
if the plumes are causing you a nuisance you do have a right to complian.

shaun

Thanks for the info. The gases themselves aren't a problem its the noise (fan noise and high pitched whistling type noise over the top of that). I'm assuming bending the pipe upwards for a bit would help with that.

What are these british standard distances then?

What would make the boiler 'capable of doing it', max flue length?

Another quick question: is it a case of taking the boiler of the wall or can the flue be extended from the outside (is ground floor flat and access is easy)?

No you do not need to remove boiler from wall
some you can extend from outside ,others you have to replace flue from flue elbow on top of boiler

would they mix any better with a pint of carling then :D ?

shaun

back to post.
if the original flue went straight out the wall, its possibly fitted with a restrictor plate, if fitted this will probably need removing, refer to manufacturer.
hope you also know that the flue sytem can only be altered by gas registered installer. be carefull.

good luck
shaun

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
P
As above through the roof. Also I doubt that...
Replies
Views
As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
Can't use a plume kit to get the flue within...
Replies
Views
Could be the expansion relief or an overflow...
Replies
Views
Back