boiler flue | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler flue in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John t

Excuse the lack of correct jargon, not gas safe registered. A customer has just had her annual boiler service/inspection. The boiler is on the first floor and has a flue that protrudes about 6/8" from the wall. Gas safe man says she needs a vent cover flush with the wall.

1. have I interpreted the question right (Shes an oap)
2. can somebody explain the reason
3. Can I carry out the work?
Cheers fella's

Excuse the lack of correct jargon, not gas safe registered. A customer has just had her annual boiler service/inspection. The boiler is on the first floor and has a flue that protrudes about 6/8" from the wall. Gas safe man says she needs a vent cover flush with the wall.

1. have I interpreted the question right (Shes an oap)
2. can somebody explain the reason
3. Can I carry out the work?
Cheers fella's
without seeing it i cant be sure but i would imagine the flue has been left long rather than cut to the right length if this is the case you need to be gas safe to remove it cut it and replace youll need mis instructions to determin the correct length
guards are only fitted to flues under 2 m from the floor or any where it could be a hazard

Or is John t asking about a flue guard? I'm not gas safe (not that safe with anything come to think of it ...) so not really willing to volunteer any suggestions.

seems to me the pipe trim on the brickwork is missing,
ie, flue hole cut and flue pushed through from inside, (fitter forgot his ladders).

seems to me the pipe trim on the brickwork is missing,
ie, flue hole cut and flue pushed through from inside, (fitter forgot his ladders).
may be a case of making good with sand and cement they dont legally need a flue trim

If not pointed or sealed it would have been AR and should have been turned off & warning notice.
Could be just needs trimming back so just the terminal is showing not all flues are suitable for outdoors.
Hard to say
could u post a picture?

if its not pointed and sealed, why would it be AR, unless the flue termination is within 300mm off exit point - not picking, just want your reasoning behind it ?

cheers

to prove im not picky, posting a lovely ID + R shortly

Last edited by a moderator:
Because products of combustion could either enter cavity or building via where seal should be.Therefore AT Risk

I think it should be against the law to point the flue up! It doesnt half make a big job of changing a fan on some boilers. Just a moan sorry:mad:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
It sounds like a misinterpretation of...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
Back