boiler grant work | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler grant work in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

was called to a rented property I have worked in before - last year I turned the boiler off as it was a glowworm compact 30kw at back of terrace fed by 15mm pipe from meter at front of house this pipe also fed cooker and fire - when I tested the boiler pulled the fire and cooker flame to the point they nearly went out.went there this wk to change a rad to find a new vaillant pro 28kw and the ags pipe still 15mm from front to back. how do they get away with it.if I fit a 28 or 30kw boiler in terrace first part is 28mm then 22mm and on some still only got pressure.

It would appear that they just do not care and are throwing them in and not commissioning them properly. Or noticing that it is 15mm at meter when doing a tightness test, or not. Or doing anything by the book. It sounds like it is more than a list of NCS errors. Are you getting the work upgrading the line, adding the electrical bonding, sorting the condensate pipe, sealing the flue at the wall, adding cleanser and inhibitor....
How much are they getting a boiler swap for that?

I had a agency ring me this week a combi and four rads from scratch they are paying 250 pound labour! The arse is dropping out of this game!

I had a agency ring me this week a combi and four rads from scratch they are paying 250 pound labour! The arse is dropping out of this game!

Thats mental! The worry for us is now that if we let these parasites peddle this crap, the consumer will soon believe that this is the price it should cost.
High time GSR stood up and thought our corner, why do we give you all this money, if you wont help revive an industry that is rapidly dumbing down?

Correct mate I know where in hard times but if we stood firm and refused to work for the money there offering than surely it would force them to up there prices, forgot to mention on my first post they want one a day doin in a team so the 250 quid is to be split!!

This is a case of live with it and this wont change because someone somewhere will do it
These prices will drop even more next year when we get a big influx of Romanian & Bulgarian Plumbers, It will be down to £100 per install, Time to look for a different job I think.

Last week customer wanted to isolate and remove existing broken down boiler in upstairs bedroom and install a new boiler in the kitchen with the added pipe works for a cheeky £300 I won't do it I guess the way they look at it is £300 for 1- 2 days is good money but they forgot or don’t know how much it costs to keep a heating engineer/business afloat.
I do worry where this industry is heading.

We all need to worry Bazz ! this industry is heading right down the Toilet . :toilet:

The way to go for some kind of future in this industry imho is boiler breakdown engineer.

All installation work will go to price above quality and someone will eventually be needed to put it right.

The way to go for some kind of future in this industry imho is boiler breakdown engineer.

All installation work will go to price above quality and someone will eventually be needed to put it right.

finding people want a guaranteed fix these days with a warranty and not willing to pay when they can get fixed price repair from manufacturer

I work mainly for home emergency style insurance companies right now.
I think that this will end in tears as the insurers chased the initial premiums and don't understand the pitfalls of the market which are now beginning to haunt them.

was called to a rented property I have worked in before - last year I turned the boiler off as it was a glowworm compact 30kw at back of terrace fed by 15mm pipe from meter at front of house this pipe also fed cooker and fire - when I tested the boiler pulled the fire and cooker flame to the point they nearly went out.went there this wk to change a rad to find a new vaillant pro 28kw and the ags pipe still 15mm from front to back. how do they get away with it.if I fit a 28 or 30kw boiler in terrace first part is 28mm then 22mm and on some still only got pressure.

Lost quite a few swaps because I added upgrading gas feed

These prices will drop even more next year when we get a big influx of Romanian & Bulgarian Plumbers, It will be down to £100 per install, Time to look for a different job I think.

Didnt something happen like that early in the year on the MOD contract around here polish plumbs doing heat packs for something daft like £200 per pack.
Turned into utter chaos apparently flooded houses no gas safe operatives etc etc and they still kept them !!!

Don't you find there is a steady flow of work correcting and even totally replacing jobs people had done on the cheap!
Shame they haven't got much money left when they pay us to do it second time around.

finding people want a guaranteed fix these days with a warranty and not willing to pay when they can get fixed price repair from manufacturer

I think fixed price repair from manufacture is a really good deal. But don't worry!
Loads of people phone around and they think that an independent guy is going to work out cheaper than the £270+ that they would pay to Heateam, wB etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
Yes I gathered you meant that cover, but it...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back