boiler - high water pressure problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler - high water pressure problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wood butcher

We have a Ravenheat 820 fanned combi and I noticed the other day that the water pressure was nearly at 3bar. I searched the internet and from what I read I began to suspect that the expansion vessel (EV) was where the problem lay. I pressed the "tyre" type valve on the EV and water came out (I hoped to find air but was disappointed that it was water - the water only dribbled out and then appeared to stop quite quickly). From what I have read I suspect the EV is goosed and that my easiest option is to connect a new external EV.
However, we have been in the house six years and I was wondering if the EV may just have lost its charge over the years and that I should perhaps recharge the existing EV before deciding on a new one.
Am I right in thinking that to recharge the existing EV I should turn off boiler and reduce water to zero by bleeding a radiator before carrying out the recharging process (which I understand is to connect foot pump and pump to MI 0.5bar).
I have read various threads and one thread suggested that the boiler should be isolated and the system drained down before recharging. This has confused me because as I understand it we have a sealed system and if the pressure is reduced to zero then there would be no resistance to the recharging process - but having said that, there might be someting I am missing.
In the meantime I have turned down the heating thermostat knob as a means of reducing the heat in the system and hopefully thereby reduce the water pressure. The boiler cuts out/reaches temperature when water pressure reaches about 2.7/2.8bar so as far as I knkow the PRV has never operated
Your thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Recharging it will/may work for a little while but it will probably need replaced. Dropping the pressure will be ok but it is hard work pressing a foot pump with your hands. It takes a lot of pumping. Much easier if you can borrow a small compressor.

Water coming out of the tyre valve of the EV indicates that the balloon in the vessel has perforated, pumping it up will have no effect so you need a new Expansion Vessel.

:iagree: need a new expansion vessel.
If the vessel on the boiler is not leaking it is possible to leave it in place and fit an external pressure vessel
( assuming there is room for this ) best to call a local gas engineer and get the job done properly, shouldn't be to big a job, assuming nothing else is wrong with the boiler.

Thanks guys for your replies.
I was thinking that repressurisation of the existing EV was probably going to be a temporay measure but given the presence of water then the need for a new EV was the most likely way forward.
Regarding the pressurisation - am I right in thinking that if the diaphram/balloon was intact then I would be pumping up a small portion of the EV (ie. the "air" side of the EV). And if the diaphram/balloon was split I would be pumping up the complete system which would include the flow and return pipework. My question is - would the pumping up of the "complete system" show as a rise in the water pressure guage?
It might be that case that the pumping up of the "intact" diaphram/balloon would also show as a marginal increase in the water pressure guage. What I am trying to get as is - if, while I was pumping up the EV, I noticed that the water pressure guage was rising as I pumped - would that be proof positive that the diaphram/balloon was split?

you need a new expansion vessel as already mentioned.

with a 6 year old ravenheat maybe older i would be tempted to fit a new boiler

The system pressure rises because you are pushing a couple of gallons of water out of the ev back into the system. If is is a tiny hole in the diaphragm it may last a week or so, anything bigger and it will be flat by tomorrow. You will need to replace it.

Thanks for everybody's input.

I think I will give the repressurisation a miss just in case it makes a pin hole in the diaphram into something much worse.
I will organise an external EV and hopefully things will settle down. 'Tis a fact that I am beginning to think that the old boiler is getting on in years - i might trade her in and get a new one.
Might also get a new heating boiler.
Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks John. Perfect. Much appreciated.
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
R
thank you engineer coming at the weekend
Replies
Views
Rod4444
R
  • Question
Have you got any updates on this?
Replies
Views