boiler in a shower room? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler in a shower room? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Looked at a job today to replace a boiler in a shower room. The room only contains a shower cubicle with an electric shower in and an old gloworm boiler. What are the regs for this sort of thing? there is no chance of water splashing onto boiler should i go ahead with it.

Hi moogwai

The regs are a little different with this the gas regs says its OK as long as it is room sealed!
the electrical regs are a little different if the unit is protected with a "MCB and RCD" or a "RCBO wich has both combined", then under the 17th edition this is ok.
if not then you would need to get a qualified electrician to sign off as safe as it is all to do with zones and distances from electrical components.
splashing on the boiler is not the only concern steam could create problems with rusting of the boiler

Hope it helps
gb-gas

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas regs say it is not recommended and should only be fitted in bathroom/shower-room if no other convenient location can be used.
Then you get tied up in the electrical regs. Not too clued up in these but the electrics/boiler must not be within reach of bath/shower etc.-As a rule of thumb. Escalating levels of protection must be used as the boiler gets closer the the shower etc.

just spoke to gas safe and the fella said the boiler can be installed in a room with a shower cubicle but it must be at least 600mm away from the cubicle and spur must be outside the room. think it sounds a bit iffy so will recommend the boiler is moved to another location.
thanks for your replies guys.

Gonna relocate it to the kitchen.....they knew I might have to do that anyway.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

anyone wanting the 17th edition details on zones in special location (Ie a bathroom) I can email it to them, its very simple. If you buy the OSG you will never need to ring a sparky unless you need notifiable works carried out :) PM me if you want the zone stuff for bathrooms though

anyone wanting the 17th edition details on zones in special location (Ie a bathroom) I can email it to them, its very simple. If you buy the OSG you will never need to ring a sparky unless you need notifiable works carried out :) PM me if you want the zone stuff for bathrooms though
What's the OSG?

when you pop the boiler in the kitchen keep it away from the hob, steam from there will blow the pcb as quickly as steam from a shower, people often forget!!!!!!!!!!

when you pop the boiler in the kitchen keep it away from the hob, steam from there will blow the pcb as quickly as steam from a shower, people often forget!!!!!!!!!!

yeah....its going on the other side of the kitchen...no where near sink and appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I...
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
  • Boilers
  • Latest:
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
I am only telling you what I have seen. I...
Replies
Views
In that case, just get the Mechanical Engineer...
Replies
Views
hello Chris. Thank you for your reply . I have...
Replies
Views
Back