Boiler keeps cutting out - Worcester 240 combi | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler keeps cutting out - Worcester 240 combi in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CAROLE-D

Hi,

I am new on here today and hope someone can advise me.

I have a Worcester 240 RSF combination boiler, Had it installed in 1993.

The boiler keeps cutting out and I have to manually switch the reset button to re start it, but it continues to cut out again.
It can happen every ten minutes or can stay on for hours.
It can also restart by itself - but only sometimes.

It also sometimes cuts out when I am running hot water.....so have to run up the stairs or jump out of the shower (8 times yesterday), to press the reset button again.!!!!!!

I had it serviced yesterday and the engineer said it was the fan.
He removed the cover and showed me....
When it does start up, it groans a lot and the fan is struggling to get started.
I have just sprayed the fan with a little bit of WD40 and now, on start up....it kicked in straight away and started spinning fast, as normal.

However, it is still cutting out....so I am thinking it is not the fan ???
Once it gets going the noise settles down...but it is not long before the noise starts again and gets worse.....groaning, then a clicking noise starts and it cuts out.

Have looked at the manual - problem solving and it suggests that it may be the sequence board....but I cant find a sequece board on the itemised list of parts....it does refer to a "Driver Board"....is this the same thing?...
Also, on checking out the Worcester web site for spare parts for this model, refers to circuit boards and control boards......soooooooo confused with all this and would really appreciate some advice please.

Carole

Is it the red button on top of the control panel that you are pressing to get it back on? (You have to lift off the boiler front panel to access it)

Is it the red button on top of the control panel that you are pressing to get it back on? (You have to lift off the boiler front panel to access it)

Yes it is.....that has now been replaced, also replaced the fan, the pilot ignition and the pressure valve....its working kind of ok now.....but MAY need the circuit board replacing...but living with the problem right now....its so tempremental. It works fine for a few days then starts playing up again....hot water is constant now so thats one good thing...the engineer I have had to look at it is confused because it keeps giving different signals to the problem....he has found that the thermostat is not working propery (it is reaching 79 degrees at number 1)...and as that is attached to the circuit board he said is difficult to establish if its that or the board itself...so am monitoring it at the moment..AND keeping my fingers crossed that I dont have to spend too much money on it again... :-(((

Worcester 240's are this way Carole-D ... Ask your gas man to check that the temp control knob spindles haven't snapped internally, make sure there's still heatsink on the stats cos slow transerence can bring about o-heating .... Pump overrun too needs heatsink, if it's the one i remember :)

The red button is an overheat reset. Your engineer should be testing/replacing temperature sensors on that boiler before even thinking of changing the circuit board. Also, check that the spindle from the temperature knob to the circuit board has not snapped.
To be honest, that boiler installed in 1993 is 19 years old. IMHO you would have been better putting the money towards a replacement.

The red button is an overheat reset. Your engineer should be testing/replacing temperature sensors on that boiler before even thinking of changing the circuit board. Also, check that the spindle from the temperature knob to the circuit board has not snapped.
To be honest, that boiler installed in 1993 is 19 years old. IMHO you would have been better putting the money towards a replacement.

Yes, he checked the temperature control / theromstat (dial on the front)....and its not working properly......the reading he printed off said it was reaching 79 on setting 1...
if the spindle have broken / snapped...surely it would not work at all ??
There are loud clicking noises coming from the circuit board most of the time.....I have had to press the overheat button to put the heating back on a few times over the last few days....
Whats "heatsink" ???

Thanks in advance for you advice and help..

Heatsink paste is a thermal heat transfer paste. It improves the contact between temperature sensors and the metal they sit upon. I would seriously look at testing/replacing the temperature sensors and the pump overun first. They are relatively low cost items compared with a circuit board. (The heat transfer paste is usually supplied with the new sensors.)
The problem with a boiler of this age, giving these symptoms, is that you could end up changing half the boiler components,
unless your GRE knows how to test them for resistances etc.
You should really think about cutting your losses and replace the boiler. It can only have at most a couple of years life left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Sounds like a link issue possibly between the...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
Best to get a gas safe engineer or vaillant...
Replies
Views
Back