Boiler kettling problems | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler kettling problems in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MadB

Hi,

I have a Ferroli F30 combi boiler. Recently it has started kettling and making very loud noises and the pressure is very high. It has recently been powerflushed and has had a new pump and the rads do not need bleeding. Can anyone advise what could be causing the problem.

Thanks

M

if it has recently been power flushed get them back to sort out,if it as it seems,blocking up again :(

To be honest Madb Kettling is caused by limescale building up on a heat exchanger and giving an uneven layer to the normally flat surface, which ends up letting some heat escape faster on the parts with less scale build up and slower on the parts with more build up. Where there is less scale the heat exchanger literally boils the water so that it evaporates and steam is formed, and its those steam bubbles which pop and cause the kettling sound.

Powerflushing will have removed this but as soon as you introduce fresh water back in to refil the system this will have limescale in (check your local water supplier on the jobs postcode to see how hard the water is) and the problem will build up again. I used to use X100 but recently have gone back to couple of jobs on the east coast (i work in yorkshire) where whatever chemicals they use for limescale prevention havent done a good job, particularly on jobs with giannoni heat exchangers and as such I now only use Fernox F1 after speaking to Terry the technical manager at SIME who told me that thats the only stuff that has a decent scale prevention stuff in it.

If you want a quick fix try sticking some F2 boiler noise silencer in it which is for old systems that havent been cleaned properly.

Agree with the above, they might have power flushed it but specific chemicals are better at removing scale than say a chemical to remove black magnatite sludge.

Not a power flush fan and now we are beginning to see why,with all the if,s and but,s creeping in

imho

Not a power flush fan and now we are beginning to see why,with all the if,s and but,s creeping in

imho

nor me cant beat manual flushing yes its hard work but a better end result

to the op when you say Kettering are you sure? if you have high pressure the prv may be lifting causing your noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, my boiler starts to make some loud...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
So it isn't a boiler problem? One thing, it...
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Back