Boiler knackered after a power flush!! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler knackered after a power flush!! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guildfordboiler

Hi Guys

I was doing a powerflush today and the boilers heat exchanger didnt like it!! so now they need a new boiler

has this happened to any of you and how did you go about the situation regarding the cost of the new boiler ?

the boiler is a old suprima about 98 model you can clearly see that it had been leaking and sealed itself by the scale scabs on the exchanger

any advice welcome

Signed terms and conditions before hand making it clear that should this happen its upto them to pay and not your responsibility , we always take cover off boiler and check inside photo any defects and show them

Yea I used to make them sign something
I always change rad valves before never had a boiler go on me
tbh matey was ok ish ive said ill do it at a reduced rate

Guildfordboiler,

Personally I wouldn't have power-flushed a 15 year old boiler.

If you haven't done as Bod has suggested. I have a few options, for you to consider:

1. Come to a compromise, with the customer, such as 50/50 or they pay for boiler and you install for free?
  2. Claim on your insurance, after all, it is for this eventuality why we all have insurance.
  3. If the boiler is repairable, maybe repair the boiler.

I hope this has helped you

Regards

Hi

tbh i never expected a suprima to spring a leak like that ive done really old boilers before like concords and mexicos etc no problems

I am only charging 1/2 the labour i would normally charge

Yea right Ill use this a lesson and get the disclaimer signed Kamco have one you can download and give to the custard

Signed contracts and disclaimers before any works every job no exceptions

And this is one of the many reasons i dont power flush chemical clean or new system stuff the power flushing grief carp

Signed terms and conditions before hand making it clear that should this happen its upto them to pay and not your responsibility , we always take cover off boiler and check inside photo any defects and show them
Not a bad idea that, might start copying you

It is one of those things that worry me on straight flushes. Most of the time it is part of an install so of no consequence. We don't get them to sign anything but we do explain the risks. So far only a few dribbling valves......

We started getting disclaimers done after the age old it didn't leak before you touched it ect we had a split rad two weeks after a flush nightmare to explain sort ect

I always explain the risks and always change the rad valves before as nothing worse that having to stop half way through because a rad valve goes on you
I was shocked at a suprima going as although they are getting old now I still not class them as a really old boiler as compared to neta heats and such
maybee I should have not used fx2 and used x800 instead but tbh it was going to leak at some point at least I was there to deal with it

I am so pleased I decided to fork out on a george vet vac/carpet cleaner lol

I always explain the risks and always change the rad valves before as nothing worse that having to stop half way through because a rad valve goes on you
I was shocked at a suprima going as although they are getting old now I still not class them as a really old boiler as compared to neta heats and such
maybee I should have not used fx2 and used x800 instead but tbh it was going to leak at some point at least I was there to deal with it

I am so pleased I decided to fork out on a george vet vac/carpet cleaner lol

Did it split or just weep on a seal?

That was bad luck for you. I always mention the risks in my quote, and get a disclaimer signed. After all it's hardly your fault.

That was bad luck for you. I always mention the risks in my quote, and get a disclaimer signed. After all it's hardly your fault.

not really that bad doing a boiler replacement tomorrow doing it a bit cheaper but still clear £500 on it so happy days

Fair enough. At least it happened for you with a reasonable client. You can just imagine the grief some customers would have given you over that!?

"You've broken my boiler, on purpose, just so you can rip me off fitting a new one. I'm not paying anything, you can replace the boiler"......I can just imagine it.

I've done boiler changes for people, and after they've said, oh that radiator in the conservatory always used to work and now it doesn't. Traced the pipe work back and found it cut off in the garage. In my head I'm saying "yeah right it used to work, you total ******) Out loud I politely say, "oh you must have been mistaken".

Customers. Who needs em!?

your right Danny but the customer knows I am not like that
I said to the bloke straight out today that I dont want anymore work i am already booked up till after xmas doing installs!!
I had to rearrange all my jobs for Thursday to saturday to be able to do it

Well mate, you will learn a lesson on this one, and at least you'll have a new customer who trusts you. They're worth their weight in gold as they are the ones who will reccomend you to their friends.

Oh and I had a customer like that too claimed a rad worked before I changed a boiler so I tried the usual all off but the one not working ended up lifting a floorboard to find 2 ballofixs one turned off!!

Funnily enough, I have a customer who's claiming this as we speak. I froze the system (it's a big un) today just on the drops to the rad, and changed the rad valves (froze it with machine while I was doing electrics).

Old valves are OK, but changed em, so it's either air locked, or I'm getting BS again. My plumber senses are tingling!! :)

Plumbing industry do not like paperwork. This experience backs up everything we do. Its harsh but cheaper in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, it might be worth phoning the boiler...
Replies
Views
Thanks, yes I will ask him when he comes in a...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
hello Chris. Thank you for your reply . I have...
Replies
Views
Back