Boiler link up | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler link up in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hampelmann

For years, I have been running a solid fuel boiler and an oil boiler in parallel on an open system.
The oil boiler had two flow and two return connections with one set used for the pumped heating and the other for gravity hot water.
There were no valves in the system, other than thermostatic radiator valves.
I have now changed the oil boiler to a unit that has two returns but only one flow connection.
With both boilers working the hot water seems to work satisfactorily.
When the solid fuel boiler is off the gravity hot water only seems to work once the solid fuel boiler has sucked enough heat to get the gravity flowing.
During the warm up period there seems to be some reverse flow to the
hot water cylinder via the hot return from the radiators and up the gravity return.
Would a dumball valve in the gravity return work or would that be dangerous?
I have fitted a room stat, which was not there on the old system and despite the inefficient link up I should save some money with the new system.
If I can't get it to work satisfactorily, I will look at either fitting an equalizer or do away with the solid fuel boiler and convert to a closed system, but this only next year.
What do you think?.

Sounds very hard to understand by your description. I personally am happy with twin coil cylinder system using one way valves ONLY on pumped pipes. Do not think of doing this with gravity pipes. A neutraliser another option. What you want is a system that heats properly without one circuit heating another but safety is first consideration. Take a look at solid fuel link up plans. A job, planning & any work for experienced man only.

Thanks. I'll take your advice and leave gravity pipes untouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Z
Need more details. What boiler, what burner...
Replies
Views
Original reply deleted because I misread question.
Replies
Views
At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
Back