boiler locks out , complete service and parts change | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler locks out , complete service and parts change in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

problem with my oil boiler everything has been change all cleaned out set up but still locks out , if I remove photcell and shine a light on it it runs fine replace photocell and it stops again , new cell and control box, heating engineer is beat now as well

Might be seeing a false flame, to test, keep light shining on the removed photocell before trying to fire up, it should lockout and not fire up.
Make of boiler/burner?.

cell works exaclty as it should when out but locks out everytime when in position grant vortex 16/21 riello burner
All oil boilers check for a stray/false flame before allowing the boiler to fire up, so if you have the cell out and you have a light shining on it before you press the start button then it shouldn't fire up, can you check this out.
To fire up with the cell removed, it has to be covered during the purge period which on my 17 year old Firebird (Riello G5X burner) is 12 secs, the ignition transformer is then energised and the solenoid opens the oil valve and a flame must be detected within 5 secs, so if you shine the light on it after 12 secs it may light up and allow the burner to continue firing, For safety reasons you obviously don't keep it running in this fashion, as soon as you remove the light or blind the cell then the burner should trip with the combustion failure light illuminated.

Does it have a flame diffuser? Original problem could have been a spot clogged diffuser, which is now clean but has been reinstalled upside down. His prevents the light getting to photocell.

This is not specific to your boiler/I don’t know what the diffuser looks like on your boiler but have come across this before on bigger Riellos.

Similar plumbing topics

All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
If i turn the temperature dial right down on...
Replies
Views
Hi, approx. 2-3 hours.
Replies
Views
T
Tom, did you get to the bottom of your issue...
Replies
Views
schubes18
S
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
Back