boiler losing pressure | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler losing pressure in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darchy11

Hiya
We live in a new build, 3 year old house and have an ideal logic boiler, obviously 3 years old too.

over the last 5 weeks it has lost pressure 12 times and have had to re pressurise the system ourselves.

the first time sse came to inspect they re pressurised the system and checked radiators, the second time they changed a small valve and changed the water ( right hand side of boiler) after losing pressure another 5 times in 2 weeks (still 12 times in 5 weeks) they came to inspect again today.

there is no water escaping outside ( we put a bag over the outside valve and its collected nothing )

they said today that its a leak and they need to come back friday to put some sealant in the system that usually works.

the problem is so speradic, sometimes it will go in the morning, then the afternoon then overnight and sometimes it will be ok for 1 day and other times 3 days.

our main problem is the 'you have a leak' statement. there is absolutely no water or damp anywhere in the house, absolutely nowhere.
so if it is a leak, and it has been leaking for at least 5 weeks and lost enough water to re pressurize 12 times, where is all the water and secondly if it isnt a leak what could it be? looking for some help to throw back at the sse guy on friday ad i am not a plumber!!

Depending on the size of your system the leak (or drop in pressure) will in the real world only be a very small amount of water, maybe as little as a cup full which may or may not show.
I would advise against the leak seal additive as this can cause problems with some parts of the system. The better answer would be to check as many joints as possible, hard as it seems better to lift floors and roll back carpets then add carp to "patch" a problem.

If you've got a bag over the prv (overflow) it's definatly a leak. It could be internal on the boiler, leaking out through the condensate drain.

Hiya
We live in a new build, 3 year old house and have an ideal logic boiler, obviously 3 years old too.

over the last 5 weeks it has lost pressure 12 times and have had to re pressurise the system ourselves.

the first time sse came to inspect they re pressurised the system and checked radiators, the second time they changed a small valve and changed the water ( right hand side of boiler) after losing pressure another 5 times in 2 weeks (still 12 times in 5 weeks) they came to inspect again today.

there is no water escaping outside ( we put a bag over the outside valve and its collected nothing )

they said today that its a leak and they need to come back friday to put some sealant in the system that usually works.

the problem is so speradic, sometimes it will go in the morning, then the afternoon then overnight and sometimes it will be ok for 1 day and other times 3 days.

our main problem is the 'you have a leak' statement. there is absolutely no water or damp anywhere in the house, absolutely nowhere.
so if it is a leak, and it has been leaking for at least 5 weeks and lost enough water to re pressurize 12 times, where is all the water and secondly if it isnt a leak what could it be? looking for some help to throw back at the sse guy on friday ad i am not a plumber!!

what ever happens,do not let them put leak sealer in the system,which BTW is what there looking at doing,this is not recommended at all ,especially if you have a combi

Leak sealer can block the water ways within the boiler so best avoided, in some instances the boiler can leak internally but that's something for your GSR engineer to check.

It it could be something as simple as a rad valve leaking, it's generally not a lot of water.

Have they isolated the boiler to see if the pressure drop is on the boiler or system? Have heard of a few failed heat exchangers on logics recently.

if on pipe work under your floor it may not show if they have insulated between floors. Some new builds they put a layer of fibreglass between the joists and this would soak up a lot of water before it would show through the plasterboard ceiling below.

I agree leak sealer is not what you want to be using. Find the leak.

Last edited:
As above ^^^^^

I recently had ideal out to my daughters logic, turned out it was the heat exchanger, just within warrenty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

What the easiest way to find why my boiler is...
Replies
Views
the op says no water in prv balloon so not prv...
Replies
Views
Ok great...really hoping it wasn't a leak.
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
Back