Boiler management | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler management in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kkelly77

Hi all,

I heard recently mentioned something about "boiler management". It had something to do with your boiler running more efficiently. Anyone got more info on this? Is it referring to energy rated boilers or some other equipment you can use to help save energy? Cheers.

K

I have worked on a boiler with a boiler management system but it was a 5000,000 BTU industrial boiler. My guess is you are thinking about a heating management system (standard programmable thermostats/controllers etc)

Last edited:
I have worked on a boiler with a boiler management system but it was a 500,000 BTU industrial boiler. My guess is you are thinking about a heating management system (standard programmable thermostats/controllers etc)

Ah right. So is it more for commercial sites rather than domestic use?

The boiler was a multi tubular high pressure boiler for a leisure centre and part of its job was to heat a large swimming pool. It was fully modulating two stage and had a computerised control to manage to boiler temperature and combustion rate

This is the type of equipment I was talking about - Residential Boiler Controls | Beckett HeatManager

Read the Technical Description and you will see that it's not what UK heating engineers would call a boiler management system, as UK professionals understand the term. (See, for example Trend Controls.)

The Becket device is just another way of controlling when the boiler fires by measuring the rate at which the boiler temperature changes. Any thermostat with PI control does virtually the same - lowering the average flow temperature by controlling the burning times - but it does it by measuring the rate at which the room temperature changes.

Read the Technical Description and you will see that it's not what UK heating engineers would call a boiler management system, as UK professionals understand the term. (See, for example Trend Controls.)

The Becket device is just another way of controlling when the boiler fires by measuring the rate at which the boiler temperature changes. Any thermostat with PI control does virtually the same - lowering the average flow temperature by controlling the burning times - but it does it by measuring the rate at which the room temperature changes.

So would be the product be of more use to those with no room thermostats installed, as is the the case in my house? Only TRV's in place.

It's a Warmflow 70/90
OK, so it's not a modulating boiler.

The only info I can find about the HeatManager is on USA sites; and the comments are very variable. There does not appear to be an agent in the UK so you could have problems if it went wrong.

I wouldn't touch it!

I suggest you install a room thermostat with PI control, eg the Honeywell DT90E or DT92E. If you want even better control fit a Programmable Thermostat with PI control and Optimization, e.g any of the Honeywell CM900 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
Ive got a new replacement boiler to install...
Replies
Views
170L is barely enough for 2 showers for us...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Back