boiler not firing up | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler not firing up in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mints

Hi All,
i have a guy doing up the bathroom. he told me that he had to drain the system as he could not stop the hot water(cold water was stopped from the mains) before could take off the old bathroom suite. he has taken off one of the radiators in the bathroom.
now when i tried to switch on my hot water.. the pump made a horrible sound and started to over heat. i switched it off (from the control) now i cant get the boiler to fire up again.
the pump seem to be spinning (i took off the central screw and felt it with the screw driver). any advise on this will be useful.
the boiler is WM 51/3 RS and standard Grundfos pump.

Thanks in advance.

There's not enough water in the central heating system so it needs to be filled again. Sort of tricky if the pipes are open!! Pump should be fine when system filled though.

Hi,
Thanks for prompt replies.

The system is gravity fed. this morning tried again... the boiler did fire up ... after 20sec it started to sound bad (struggling to get water through the boiler ..like feeling) i have switched it off for now. i will wait until the tiling is done and the radiator is back on again. I am confused i.e the radiator is removed and two pipes (of the radiator) are closed (using valve) and i have air in the system ... is it that he has forgotten to switch back on something ?? i have opened the hot water above the storage tank just to make sure...
Also if this helps ... the radiator that has been taken off is upstairs at the same level as the pump.

Thanks,

That bathroom radiator isnt on the hot water circuit by any chance ?
Ask your bathroom guy this morning its maybe that or as said above he has drained it down

You need to check (or get someone to check) the system has been filled properly if at all. You should ask your "plumber" if he refilled it.

You don't need to drain the heating to turn the hot water off unless you have a primatic cylinder or a spartan tank. (google them).

That bathroom radiator isnt on the hot water circuit by any chance ?
Ask your bathroom guy this morning its maybe that or as said above he has drained it down

The radiator i think is on the hot water circuit (i.e it's hot even if just the water is ON and NOT CH) does that make a difference ?

Thanks

jus means its off primary circuit so will be on wen boiler is on. have you checked water level in f & e tank?

check level in feed and expansion (the little tank in loft) - the ball valve may have stuck give it a wiggle.

check level in feed and expansion (the little tank in loft) - the ball valve may have stuck give it a wiggle.

Hi
there is some water in the f & e tank. if i press the ball , more water comes into the tank...but isnt that just normal ? how would i know ? should i turn the boiler on and then observe the water in the f&e tank ?

thanks,

could be a air lock then, check pump valves are open, if ok blow mains up open vent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Was the oil pressure checked before replacing...
Replies
Views
Back