Boiler, or shower problem? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler, or shower problem? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Good morning lovely people,
I went to look at a shower that wasn't working correctly yesterday, and I'm not certain if its a shower problem or a boiler problem so I'm posting here in case.
If any of the mods want to throw this into another forum then please do so, but let me know so I can follow it :)

My problem is this:
The shower works fine as hot, or cold - but nothing in between. It's a brand new shower (See photos) bought by the customer - installed by another so called plumber (He was with the builders company apparently, and he's left leaks all over the place - but that's another story).
Anyway, the boiler is an older Worcester combi situated directly below the bathroom and it will supply hot water at a rate of 10 lpm with a temperature of around 65°C, if the boiler control is turned right up to display 70.
I originally thought that it was a faulty thermostatic cartridge but after fitting a replacement, it's still the same and I'm now wondering if the boiler might be at fault - for some strange, unfathomable reason.
The shower is this one: Jupiter Milan Shower Thermostatic Shower Mixer Kit From Jt Spas and the company supplied no paperwork with it at all. The 'New' cartridge arrived in a jiffy bag, with no other packaging at all so it looks (Might not be I suppose) as though it's a used item.

IMG_1715.jpg
IMG_1719.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Is the boiler firing when the shower stat is midway (mixing) assuming it's thermostat? You could have unequal pressures (hot and cold) and the mains is over powering the hot therefore the boilers flow switch won't operate

Definitely not piped back too front Riley - I did check that first :)
I suppose it could be unequal pressures kb76, but:

A - I can't get to the pipework without removing part of a wall

B - Surely if the cold pressure was too high, it would be cold water coming from the shower head not hot, despite the boiler output. The combi can't output a higher pressure than the mains can it?

C - it goes from cold to scalding and vice versa, with no in between

if you run a hot tap at the same time does that make a difference

also when you run a hot tap slowly does the boiler still fire

just wondering if its the flow switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
hello Chris. Thank you for your reply . I have...
Replies
Views
The condensate pipe might be sharing the drain...
Replies
Views
Billy Boiler
B
C
You'll need a shower pump or swap to an...
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
Back