Boiler over pressurising? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler over pressurising? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

My son has a Boulter Buderus Gas boiler and today he noticed water coming out of the vent outside having switched the heating on. I assume it is the pressure relief valve operating so I asked what the boiler pressure was....5 Bar! No wonder it was venting! So once it was cold and boiler inactive I asked him to bleed the nearest rad (bathroom) and he reduced it from 2.2 Bar to 1 Bar (cold). This he did but the pressure rose back up to 2.2 Bar. He has confirmed the filling loop is closed. Any suggestions as to what is going on? Boiler is in cupboard off bathroom and is highest part of the system.

[Sounds like pressure vessel has either split membrane or pressure is down on air side. Pressure is building up as water heats no expansion so pressure rises and operates pressure relief valve.

It's not a combi is it?
Expansion vessel is first check
It is a combi and I think you may be right re the pressure vessel, thanks!
[automerge]1580772930[/automerge]
[Sounds like pressure vessel has either split membrane or pressure is down on air side. Pressure is building up as water heats no expansion so pressure rises and operates pressure relief valve.
Thanks Clint, I believe you may well be right, i will have to check for pressure when next down there and take things from there - cheers!

If pressure is increasing when boiler off then there are other problems 1) the filling loop is passing so valves need replacing. 2) the plate heat exchanger has failed and water is passing through this will need replacing by a gas safe registered engineer. Or could be as already said a failed expansion vessel.

If pressure is increasing when boiler off then there are other problems 1) the filling loop is passing so valves need replacing. 2) the plate heat exchanger has failed and water is passing through this will need replacing by a gas safe registered engineer. Or could be as already said a failed expansion vessel.
The pressure only rises to 5 bar when the heating is on and then it vents so I agree with previous comments that the pressure vessel either needs repressurising or the diaphragm is compromised. Thanks for your comments :)

The pressure only rises to 5 bar when the heating is on and then it vents so I agree with previous comments that the pressure vessel either needs repressurising or the diaphragm is compromised. Thanks for your comments :)

The pressure relief valves are usually 3 bar, some boilers 2.5. I suspect expansion vessel problem as said above. I asked if it was a combi because it could of been the HPX as someone also suggested above. You said you ruled out filling loop.

Similar plumbing topics

hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Seems to be wanting a cold fill pressure of 2...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Yes 🤭
Replies
Views
It doesn't have a thermostat and the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Back