boiler passport | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler passport in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul551uk

Do I have to be oftec registered to fill out a passport for building control as there is a space at the top for a number . I have a OFT101 cert is that not enough ? Haven't done much domestic work last few years unsure about warranty , etc

Yes! It is part of the industry competent person scheme's. Self certification for professionals to gain Building Regulations Certificate.

Check with oftec, but the 101 cert only allows you to service & commission an oil boiler - it doesn't qualify you to install or certificate oil boilers or oil tanks.

Last edited:
Not strictly correct. Unfortunately any tom, dick or harriet can install an oil boiler. No need to be oftec registered.
Oh no.......not this again.....I forgot the caveat that you CAN install one if you pre notify Building Control and then have them sign it off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 20.40.43.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 20.40.43.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 65
As much as i would love it to be a fact that un registered installers cant legally install the actual truth is that they can. If this discussion was in the arms then fair enough, but its not and to make a sweeping statement that 'everybody' can see, is not correct. Especially as the statement is false.

Now hows that for pedantic. A simple yes i was wrong would have sufficed.

Building Regulations are a legal requirement though. Trouble with this is, it is the customers responsibility to ensure that this is complied with. IE: employing a business who can self certificate the works or convincing BC that it is worthy of a certificate by work carried out by a Non registered oil boiler installer. So best way forward is employ an OFTEC installer.

Building Regulations are a legal requirement though.

There is a problem with these words "legal" and "illegal".

To most of us, "against the law" means against the criminal law - ie if we break this law we risk having our collar felt, and ending up in nick.

Breaching building control regulations may also be "illegal" but it doesn't feel the same, does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no.......not this again.....I forgot the caveat that you CAN install one if you pre notify Building Control and then have them sign it off.

So my install was in a new house so building control are aware of the ongoing works and they will be signing the house of at final inspection stage . So i can commission the boiler myself fill out the passport for warranty with no reg. number and get him to sign off the install and pass the house . Correct ?

As much as i would love it to be a fact that un registered installers cant legally install the actual truth is that they can. If this discussion was in the arms then fair enough, but its not and to make a sweeping statement that 'everybody' can see, is not correct. Especially as the statement is false.

Now hows that for pedantic. A simple yes i was wrong would have sufficed.

Oooooooooh, get her.

It was as wrong as your misunderstanding of my use of 'caveat'.....

No Croppie, I won't put my toys back in the pram, she started it and I'm taking my ball home.

Oooooooooh, get her.

No Croppie, I won't put my toys back in the pram, she started it and I'm taking my ball home.

Shame you just cant admit you were wrong.

Oooooooooh, get her.

Put your dummy back in

I was wrong.

But i agree with what you were trying to say. It should be illegal for anybody to install other than a registered installer. Badly installed or maintained oil installations will kill somebody just as easily as a badly installed or maintained gas installation. Its well past the time for action to put this in place.

I went to service 2 boilers at a holiday complex and I had a right roasting from the customer for putting down loads of faults on his cd11. I said that they should have never been installed like it. They had been serviced by another company for years and they only mentioned one of the faults on a service card that no one sees.

I went to service 2 boilers at a holiday complex and I had a right roasting from the customer for putting down loads of faults on his cd11. I said that they should have never been installed like it. They had been serviced by another company for years and they only mentioned one of the faults on a service card that no one sees.

Regular occurence with new customers. 'Well its been serviced for 6 years by the same bloke and he said there was nothing wrong with it'. Thats when they get the i couldnt give a monkeys, its documented and its your problem.

Now we've got onto this topic of convo, I'll start a new thread.......

There is a problem with these words "legal" and "illegal".

To most of us, "against the law" means against the criminal law - ie if we break this law we risk having our collar felt, and ending up in nick.

Breaching building control regulations may also be "illegal" but it doesn't feel the same, does it?
None of it means that much unless someone enforces it. Its a bit like parental skills, you can guide and instruct the children on write and wrong, but, unless you have proper disciplines, they will push the boundaries, and stronger action will be implemented. If you don't they just do what ever they like with no regard for anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It sounds like a misinterpretation of...
Replies
Views
W
Or £50 for an indemnity policy.
Replies
Views
Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Speak to Baxi regards the warranty, as they...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back