Boiler pressure changes | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler pressure changes in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi

When cold the boiler pressure reads approx 1 bar.

When the heating is on it rises to around 2.2-2.4 bar which I think is quite a large rise (still a way from the 3 bar limit).

I was wondering if this was due to the expansion vessel in the boiler not being big enough for the system (~15 rads + unvented cylinder + 3 levels high on a zoned system).

I am presuming that the vessel is correctly presurised as it has been recently serviced.

Assuming that it can be fitted whilst still having the boilers own expansion vessel, would an external expansion vessel be of any help and if so what like sizes as not much space for one where the boiler is fitted.

Thanks
Colin

2-2.5 bar when hot is normal

you should have an external expansion vessel for the heating could be around 12-18l capacity

Thanks for letting me know 2.5 bar is OK (just means I cannot pressurise to 1.5 bar when cold as then it would go to around 3 bar).

Would an externel expansion vessel reduce the upper bar when the system is hot?

I will be changing the boiler soon to a Worcester (30 or 35KW), would it make sense to add an external expansion vessel or just rely on the boilers (given the number of radiators and the fact that the boielr is in the kitchen and top radiators in roof conversion)?

Add / allow for one when you change the boiler normally Worcester include a 7 or 9 L but tbh I would size the extra expansion vessel to match the system eg 18l

The expansion vessel inside the boiler will be undersized for that many radiators.
Fluctuating pressure put more strain on boiler components.

Many thanks for the replies, I will ask for an external expansion vessele to be fitted when the boiler is changed out.

Forgive my ignorance but ShaunCorbs mentioned 18L for the number of radiators I have but would that be the external ones size or does it need 18-7L (that the boiler has) and so ~11L external?

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
You might have a EV (expansion vessel)...
Replies
Views
If its going to anti cycle then its not the...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable...
Replies
Views
Back