Boiler pressure gauge dropping | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler pressure gauge dropping in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

laguna

Hi - I wondered if someone could explain how I can get a pressure drop on my boiler when i've done the following test.

1. Let the whole system cool down for a few hours.
2. Open the filling loop and set the pressure to 2 bar.
3. Fully close the boiler flow and return valves.
4. Turn off the boiler.
5. Place cups under the condensate pipe and pressure release pipe.
6. Leave the boiler like this for 14 hours.

When I check the boiler 14 hours later, there is no water in the cups, BUT the gauge has dropped down by at least a 1/3rd of a bar of pressure.

There are no other pipes from boiler and no other visible marks of water escaping.

Surely I should either have water in my cups or the pressure gauge still at 2 Bar.

Yep must be leaking or a valve letting by. (un-less the water in the boiler was still warm & then went cold)

Thanks, I let it cool down for 2 hours before isolating with the flow and return valves.

I can't see any other evidence of water.

I even tested the flow and return valves by closing them, opening the filling loop and the gauge didn't move, then reopened the valves and they gauage jumped up.

could be a leaking/cracked heat exchanger.

Next time the boiler is running, check to see if the the condense pipe is warm from excessive discharge

I have read your post carefully - apart from a slight pressure drop you
do not explain why you are carrying out these tests.

Most combis work at 1.5 bar so why do you set it at 2 bar ?..placing a 'cup' under the condense pipe will tell you nothing, and as you state the PRV (not prp) is not passing.

1/3 of one bar is a v small drop - does it rise again when u put the heat on ?m - perhaps you might re-state ur problem -

What combi boiler, how many rads, and what is the problem ? is it dropping down to zero eg..... centralheatking
Hi - I wondered if someone could explain how I can get a pressure drop on my boiler when i've done the following test.

1. Let the whole system cool down for a few hours.
2. Open the filling loop and set the pressure to 2 bar.
3. Fully close the boiler flow and return valves.
4. Turn off the boiler.
5. Place cups under the condensate pipe and pressure release pipe.
6. Leave the boiler like this for 14 hours.

When I check the boiler 14 hours later, there is no water in the cups, BUT the gauge has dropped down by at least a 1/3rd of a bar of pressure.

There are no other pipes from boiler and no other visible marks of water escaping.

Surely I should either have water in my cups or the pressure gauge still at 2 Bar.

Hi and thanks for your detailed response, the issue I have is its a pressurized system, not a combi boiler, hence over the course of a week all the pressure is lost and the boiler will fail to start.

Its a Main system boiler 28KW running 14 rads.

It is normally only on 1 bar of pressure, I was just using 2 bar to exaggerate the problem a little.

I've spent a lot of money trying to get to the bottom of the pressure loss. I've even had one of these leak detection firms in who carried out a nitrogen/hydrogen gas trace in all the central heating pipework and found no leak in the system.

This is why I am testing the boiler, you say a 1/3rd of a bar isn't a lot but when I've released a 1/3rd of a bar of water from the boiler its about 300ml worth or a can of coke in volume.

I carried out another test last night, as I have 2 isolating valves on my central heating pipework (my boiler is in the garage) before the pipes enter the house. This time I left the flow and return open but closed the central heating pipework valves, so in essence I had isolated the garage/boiler from the house. Checking this morning, albeit only 8 hours later, again it had dropped over a 1/3rd of a bar.

You could check if the size of the pressure vessel is adequate for the size of your system
adding another is dead cheap and easy - about £40 plus plumbers time - one just t's it in in a convenient place.

Its quite possible & normal for a pressurized system to loose 500ml water each week or 2
without ever being detected. API - my company have done loads of research, enginnering
practical and statisical into pressure systems - 64% of all home owners/renters have
pressure loss problems on a daily/weekly/monthly frequency. This year we will launch

MFD PD18 a unit that is WRas approved and answers all these problems

centralheatking

What do you mean by closing the c/h pipework valves ? - under the unit will be the
boiler isolaters close them and then see what happens centralheatking
Hi and thanks for your detailed response, the issue I have is its a pressurized system, not a combi boiler, hence over the course of a week all the pressure is lost and the boiler will fail to start.

Its a Main system boiler 28KW running 14 rads.

It is normally only on 1 bar of pressure, I was just using 2 bar to exaggerate the problem a little.

I've spent a lot of money trying to get to the bottom of the pressure loss. I've even had one of these leak detection firms in who carried out a nitrogen/hydrogen gas trace in all the central heating pipework and found no leak in the system.

This is why I am testing the boiler, you say a 1/3rd of a bar isn't a lot but when I've released a 1/3rd of a bar of water from the boiler its about 300ml worth or a can of coke in volume.

I carried out another test last night, as I have 2 isolating valves on my central heating pipework (my boiler is in the garage) before the pipes enter the house. This time I left the flow and return open but closed the central heating pipework valves, so in essence I had isolated the garage/boiler from the house. Checking this morning, albeit only 8 hours later, again it had dropped over a 1/3rd of a bar.

there must be water leaking somewhere is there any buried pipework between the boiler and the iso valves you closed?

put your pressure upto 2bar run heating full temp for approx 30 mins check system for leaks personnely i would remove cover and check around heat exchanger and pressure gauge pipe good luck.

Hi thanks, I have the isolating flow and return valves under the boiler, I also have another set of valve on the C/H pipework and the hot and cold water supply, all in the garage and all before the enter the house, the pipework is not buried in the garage it runs up the wall and enters the house in one of the front bedrooms.

I've checked the system 14 hours later. The boiler gauge has dropped but not as much, only about 0.1 this time. It seems introducing an external vessel has made a difference to the results. I might take out the boiler expension vessel tonight and let it run on just the new external vessel.

Do tell us the end result - its nice to read a problem resolved...
so you banged in another exp as I suggested...centralheatking
I've checked the system 14 hours later. The boiler gauge has dropped but not as much, only about 0.1 this time. It seems introducing an external vessel has made a difference to the results. I might take out the boiler expension vessel tonight and let it run on just the new external vessel.

Yes thanks, the pressure seems to be holding up at the moment, I'm also pleased I put a pressure gauge on a rad indoors, least I can keep an eye on it all the time, without trips to the garage. Thanks for your advice.

What was the device you mentioned before ? MFD PD18

What about the cylinder coil???

edit: didn't see that you had resolve it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You might have a EV (expansion vessel)...
Replies
Views
Reply was much appreciated, thank you.
Replies
Views
Apologies for not attaching photos but many...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Back