Boiler pressure high - not expansion vessel or filling loop problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler pressure high - not expansion vessel or filling loop problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MezzaDM

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I had a high pressure problem with my Potterton Promax System 24 boiler. I assumed it was the expansion vessel which I replaced but the problem persisted. I then disconnected the filling loop to ensure it wasn't leakage from there causing the problem. The boiler pressure is still rising (3 Bar plus) and I am not sure what the problem is. My next guess would be that there is some kind of internal blockage and was considering flushing the boiler (although I wouldn't know how to do that).

Any help and advice most welcome.

M

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be pipe to expansion vessel blocked, but if pressure continuosly rising and you've already ruled out filling loop then I would say plate heat exchanger is split allowing mcw into htg side.

Could be pipe to expansion vessel blocked, but if pressure continuosly rising and you've already ruled out filling loop then I would say plate heat exchanger is split allowing mcw into htg side.

Agree with plate heat exchanger slit

what size is your expansion vessel is it possible its too small for the system??? how many rads?

Hi MezzaDm , I too have this problem did you ever get to the bottom of it,what costs were involved?

min cost will be a visit from local heating engineer who can investigate the fault and then advise of the repair cost

I would agree its either the plate hot water heat exchanger or a blocked pipe from the expansion vessel. I have had the latter problem a lot before. Mainly when the pipe to the exp vessel is of the braided flexible type. Vokeras seem to suffer from this a lot

davi23. The original poster made the mistake of changing what was probably a perfectly good part for nothing, due to their lack of knowledge.
Any half decent engineer would know how to confirm soundness of these these parts.
As safegasinstall advises have someone qualified look at it and save you a headache and throwing money away needlessly.

My sister had a glow worm with this problem in the end it was the LH hydroblock leaking inside from CW to CH i was under guarantee so i didn't have to get involved

I had this today, and it was the expansion vessel.

Water coming from the air screw valve at the top of expansion vessel. Changed it over, still doing it! Reason was the pipework to it was choked, so always best to clear that while your up there anyway!

hi if the heat exchange was split couldnt he open the hot tap and see if the pressure went back down as that would then take the pressure out ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

ah i see what you mean, just need something...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
thank you, good tip, I will try
Replies
Views
You might have a EV (expansion vessel)...
Replies
Views
I suppose shouldn't be too surprised as water...
Replies
Views
Back