boiler pricing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler pricing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaspastemania

Think in right area to talk about rates,
I dont do many boiler repairs as alot of it goes over my head but looking for ball park figures at replacing parts like ,expansion vessel,prv,pump air vent those types of parts . If you have to wait on parts as not in stock do you charge a diagnostic on first visit then a fit charge on second??
Not sure if i am to cheap on doinf g the basics so a general guide would be appreciated.

This is an open forum for public as well as GSR gaspastemania ... maybe worth asking mods to move to GSR only forum IMHO

When it comes to pricing I have my own comfortable rate that I think is reasonable. Many in the same trade think I'm to cheap :) Some customers think its to much!! Go figure...lol I make enough knowing i am not fleecing the customer, and can sleep at night quite comfortably... :)

I think it depends on the customer. I charge when finished. Part plus percentage/petrol money, plus one call out and time per hour after that.

If you think they're going to get a second quote (not asking you to order part) then call out for the first visit.

If you're unsure about quick payment at the end of the job, then call out plus materials cost before you order part then fitting charge next time.

Yep certainly am i'd be the one hitting the top shelf :17:

just wondering as he isnt red, but you dont need to be gas safe to get into the arms

In answer to the original question and bear with me as it's oil related but same on anything else. I have a flat charge for turning up and first hour, then add my hourly rate on top of that after the first hour. As 80% of my oil breakdowns come via another company, a mate of mine, I have a laminated sheet in the van for what to charge with regards parts. It's cost + 20 to 40%. So I go do the job work out the labour, check the sheet for parts and add on anything else. My turning up rate is variable on a radius from home. Oh and my clock starts when I leave home for the first job and then restarts as I leave first job to get to the second.
I use exactly the same system for plumbing repairs as well.

What about the possibilty of a miss diagnose? presume this happens doing this type of work , seem to be slowly getting more inquiries about boiler breakdowns but cautious about what the fault is as not into idea of getting stung on parts or diddling myself out on labour.

Just swot up on using your multimeter, get to know the operation of the boiler you are working on and come on here and ask if you're not sure. Some breakdowns are a pain in the erse and everyone gets stuck once in a while.

I always work on an hourly rate, the first hour being more expensive than the rest. I am quite new to fault finding etc aswell so if I misdiagnose a fault, I normally just take the hit of the time spent etc and treat it as an expensive lesson.

I always work on an hourly rate, the first hour being more expensive than the rest. I am quite new to fault finding etc aswell so if I misdiagnose a fault, I normally just take the hit of the time spent etc and treat it as an expensive lesson.

yes this can cost you in time, but it gives you experience and also the customer respects the fact you are open with them, if its a PITA and you are struggling to diagnose/fix and tell them "this is one of those jobs and it could be a tricky one for me but i will charge you a max of 2hrs labour" they are happy (obviously) and will use you again, every day is a school day and i try to be straight with everyone, so if im struggling to know whats wrong i cant expect the customer to pick a 5hr bill, and the theory is when i come across the same fault again i will "appear" to be an expert

Exactly kirkgas. I am well aware on some jobs I really should have solved it quicker etc but I am still learning and have never had anyone who has taught me any fault finding it is all what I have picked up and learnt myself. If I think it would be an unfair price for the amount of time I was there I just knock some money off and go away having learnt alot, hopefully haha.

Exactly, I don't just charge a flat hourly rate with no compromise as if I mess up/take too long/mis-diagnose, I cant charge over the odds for my mistakes so after looking at how long I was there, I consider if it should have took me quicker and if that's the case I will charge based on how long it should have took. Obviously I try to allow for this in the first place when giving a fixed quote, always add on as 90% of jobs take longer than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Could be the expansion relief or an overflow...
Replies
Views
I find it helpfull to think of the time I need...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back