Boiler problem - what can be done? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler problem - what can be done? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanteA

Hello,
I have a strange problem.

I have noticed that in the mornings there often (always?) is no hot water. In order to have hot water, I need to press a boost button on a panel next to the boiler (and after 20min there is hot water; the boost turns itself off after 1h or so). I suspect that the boiler does not have any other timer which would turn it on at any specific times (weird?).

This is quite annoying, especially in the mornings (as I always need to press the button and wait 20min).

Is there a quick fix - e.g. changing the panel, or adding some simple device, which would e.g. turn the boiler on at 6am and make sure there is hot water until e.g. 9am? What is the cheapest solution?

I will obviously ask a professional to do it for me, but I would like to hear some unbiased views first about what exactly should be done... (ideally with some pricing guidance, if you happen to know?)

I am attaching photos of the boiler and the panel, in case somebody recognises them:

2017-04-06 20.15.16_result.jpg

2017-04-06 20.15.36_result.jpg

Thank you for help!

Are you saying the boiler, is your hot water cylinder?

immersion heaters always take about 20-40 minutes to heater dependant on the size of the tank and the element more pictures would help.

There should be something other than a boost , some kind of timer function,
I take it your heating is electric also,
Always remember that off peak is cheaper so best to heat your tank just before it starts to get into peak times but I'm surprised you've only an on off switch and not a timer, you could get that switch replaced with a simple timer type clock ,

That's why a picture of where the cable goes from the immersion would be good.

Yeh I mean I'd imagine it would be a simple twin feed which could easily be wired to a clock , as no switch wires needed it's just on or off but the timer would allow this ,
Good shout harvest on pics

Hi,
Thank you for all the replies!

Apologies if I have used the wrong terminology.

I am attaching three more photos, if this helps. The cylinder has two cables going to it (one in the upper part, the other in the lower part), looking the same. They go these switches in the wall. There is some (isolation?) tank above.
2017-04-07 19.10.52_result.jpg 2017-04-07 19.11.02_result.jpg 2017-04-07 19.16.07_result.jpg

My heating is electric, but not central heating (every electric heater is separate, has its own timers etc.), so - unless I am mistaken - the cylinder only feeds hot water to the kitchen and the bathroom.

So if I understand correctly, I would just need to replace the current "start/cancel" thingy with a digital 7 day immersion timer? Amazon has those things: Timeguard NTT03 24-Hour/7-Day Compact Electronic Immersion Heater Timeswitch: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools . Would it be a good one? If I buy one and ask an electrician to fit it, would that do the trick?

Best,
Milo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No, it appears your off peak side isn't working, you need a plumbing confident in electrics or an electrician who understands the off peak side.

Ahhh, so close to an easy solution, yet so far away. I must admit that I am still a bit puzzled, as there doesn't seem to be any device which actually defines what "off peak" means (I would still expect some timer...).

If I may ask (so that I learn a bit) - how do you know that it isn't just the timer? Is it because one of the sockets is labelled "off-peak", suggesting there should be some off-peak heating?

To ensure I get the right person (and not end up paying hundreds of pounds of incall fees for people who don't know what to do) - how should I best explain the issue? That one of the heaters (connected to the cylinder) is broken? Or that likely some of the wiring in the wall is broken? Or maybe it is some kind of fault of this simple boost panel? Should I suggest that the electrician brings some specific spare parts, just in case? Finally - do I need to/is it recommended to replace the immersion timer anyway, or not really?

Thank you once again for your kind help and sorry for the simple questions.

You should have near your fuse box a timer, possibly a large mechanical type timer, or, your electric meter should have 2 rows of numbers I.e. Peak and off peak, or you will have a grey plastic box, that does have a boost switch on it.
You need an electrician,tell him your having problems with off peak immersion heaters.

It seems all you need to do is replace the bottom heater, are you in a hard water area by any chance ? The off peak side is controlled by the off peak meter (Cheep rate electric) idea being that it heats the tank usely over night ! if you use up all the hot water through the day then click on the boost switch that will only heat the very top of the tank, biggest problem with these is the time it takes to drain out the tank ! Bit of advise replace the top heater at the same time

Thank you all for the helpful advice. Now I have much better understanding of how these things work.

I have called some plumber/electrician to deal with it - London prices are crazy, but well... Let's hope he does a good job.

Next time I should probably just learn how to replace the heater...!

Modern immersion heaters have two thermostats.

One controls the temperature, switches off when the required temperature is reached, and switches back on again when the temperature of the water drops.

The other is an "overheat" thermostat. It switches the current off when the water exceeds a set temperature (around 85 to 90 degrees, and which can't be altered by the user), but does not switch on again automatically when the water temperature drops. It has to be manually reset, usually by pushing in a small red or black plastic button.

If you feel confident, turn off both the wall switches with cable coming from them to isolate the heaters. Better still, switch off the power to the whole property as well. Remove the cover of the bottom one, and see if it has a reset button. If it has, and it has tripped, reset it. Replace the covers, turn the switches on, and see if the whole tank heats up overnight.

London has hard water, and it is not uncommon for the base of the hot water cylinder to fill with limescale over a period of years, and this quickly ruins the immersion heaters. If a new immersion is required, make sure as much limescale as possible is removed once the cylinder is drained, and that Incalloy or Titanium immersion heaters are fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Back