Boiler Problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevez

Boiler has packed up over the weekend (GlowWorm 30cxi)

Have tried reseting using the on/off.

Have tried opening the blue valve underneath to refill and build the pressure (currently saying 0.4 bar) and that is doing nothing also.

Anyone any ideas?

Try the obvious first. Has the fuse blown. Try a new one of the correct rating. If that blows its a job for a GaSsfe engineer or if its your own and you know a bit and are classed as competent, go careful.

Sounds to me it may have cut out because of under pressure its usually about 1 bar. Do you have a another filling point beside the one under the boiler? You perhaps need to refill the whole system.

Advice on these things can be dangerous. If you advise someone to change a fuse for example would they know they must use a 3 amp ONLY??
Please, if someone has a problem with a boiler the only advice should always be get a gas safe engineer unless its simply to refill the pressure at the filling loop. I am registered and I have read their bulletins, and you MUST be Gas safe registered to work on a Gas appliance, that includes ALL connections to the appliance.
Sorry but even if its your own boiler and you think your competant if you haven't passed an ACS you are NOT competant.
Rant over, but safety first in my oppinion.

beeline, thats a correct attitude, however homeowners are permitted to work on their own equipment if they are competent.
defining competent is a whole different question and has many threads and posts on this site and others!
if all the "advice sites" said call a qualified engineer then the sites would be pointless!

the gentlemen above has a valid question, it could just be the fuse, sounds like its underpressured and needs filling. neither require being gas safe registered. hopefully he may find an answer here and it wont cost him too much.

back too question.
steve, i havnt yet seen a blue fill up valve, so you may be looking at the wrong thing.
somewhere on the system is the fill up loop. should look like two small chrome valves with a flexible pipe between them (generally disconnected). the blue valve below the boiler is probably the cold inlet to boiler. have a hunt around if you find the filling loop let us know.

shaun

Sorry. I agree with you. Some things can be fixed by anyone, hopefully without making anyone feel they are competant when thier not. I mean no offence.

beeline, there was no offence offered by you or taken by anyone. dont fret it, if you feel that somebody is doing something dangerous tell them, as i do.
otherwise a little bit of offered advice can help the non plumbing population.

shaun

Advice on these things can be dangerous. If you advise someone to change a fuse for example would they know they must use a 3 amp ONLY??
Please, if someone has a problem with a boiler the only advice should always be get a gas safe engineer unless its simply to refill the pressure at the filling loop. I am registered and I have read their bulletins, and you MUST be Gas safe registered to work on a Gas appliance, that includes ALL connections to the appliance.
Sorry but even if its your own boiler and you think your competant if you haven't passed an ACS you are NOT competant.
Rant over, but safety first in my oppinion.

Beeline, the Health and Safety state the the word competent, is subject to being defined by the courts of law, the ACS in the end is just a piece of paper saying that you have gained some experience in gas work, there are other pieces of paper out in the EU which says the same thing "that you have had experience of working with gas", some of the other member states requirements are more stringent than the ACS, and scream as loud as you like if the requirements of that other member state for working with gas are has stringent or more stringent than the ACS, nothing will stop those who have the relevant papers translated into English, from being able to work in the UK, without passing another test etc

lets not get into the whole "competency" thing on this thread.

if you feel strongly about it open another thread.

lets answer this blokes questions please!!

shaun

stevez, you are correct. On the glowworm combi the blue knob is the built in filling loop. Twist it anti-clockwise slowly until fully on (be careful i have seen these knobs come off causing hell of a leak) you should hear water filling but may take a few seconds for the pressure to rise. Once it gets to 1.0 turn it off and the boiler should reset itself (i think) (there may be a reset button if it doesnt). Hopefully thats all thats needed. If not i would highly recommend a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
Hope that helps.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It’s regulations not to keep the hose on but...
Replies
Views
How did you get the valve sorted in the end?
Replies
Views
You might have a EV (expansion vessel)...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
Gut feeling is PCB Time for someone...
Replies
Views
Back