Boiler problems etc | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler problems etc in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andyg

Hi, please be gentle as i am a newbie!!!
I have a Glow worm Economy Plus 50C boiler which until recently has been trouble free. Things started going pear shaped around a month ago before i turned the central heating on when i noticed that the hot water was not so hot anymore yet the boiler was working ok or at least appeared to be. When i put the central heating on, all seemed ok (apart from the hot water) and the radiators were getting hot until last week when the pilot went out. I replaced the thermocoupling which seemed to help at first or at least the pilot is now lit but when the boiler goes onto full heat, there appears to be a lot of noise from the boiler and its as if its really windy outside as it tries to blow out the flames of the boiler. The central heating now takes a long time to heat up. This week, the boiler has started to cut out again and now has to be re-lit. After around 20 - 30 seconds, the boiler cuts out completely including the pilot.
Dont know if any of this is related but the boiler is around 8 - 10 years old.

Any ideas??

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest update is that the pilot will stay on with the new thermocoupling fitted but when the main burner lights up, it appears to struggle to stay alight (sounds like it is being blown out by wind!) but then after around 20 - 30 seconds, you here a click and the main burner AND the pilot light go out.

I'm assuming that the 50C is a conventionally flued boiler.Turn it off now and get a Corgi registered installer in to look at it.

Sounds to me like the flame is getting vitiated due to lack of air and extinguishing itself, this will be producing carbon monoxide and soot. The soot will block the heat exchanger and lead to carbon monoxide entering the atmosphere of the room that the boiler is in.

If any boiler has combustion problems you shouldn't use it but a conventionally flued one is the worst of the lot. A conventionally flued boiler with combustion or flueing problems is a killer.

Mike

Hi andyg, i would check to see if the heat exchanger is blocked causing the boiler to over heat and knock out the pilot, that would cause the noise and lack of heat to the rads etc
regards
paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Unfortunately the fitting of a new Venturi did...
Replies
Views
C
Weird thing is if I use boost to put heating...
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
your boiler needs a gas reg engineer to come...
Replies
Views
D
Cadet will cap the gas due to the smell of gas...
Replies
Views
Back