Boiler/pump problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler/pump problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I have a wood burning Esse cooker and in 2005 a hot water system (tank in roof etc) was attached. It worked perfectly until now when suddenly the pump intermittently stops and starts. I assume that this is due to 1. the boiler filling up too slowly due to a blockage or 2. the pump's faulty (Monsoon 2.0 bar single). I need to know whether this is the sort of thing I can fix myself or should I call a plumber in? The problem with a plumber is that I live in France (though am selling due to Brexit!) and getting a good plumber in my area is difficult to say the least! Any advice most welcome.

I'd say you've done extremely well not having to call out a heating engineer/plumber for at least 14 yrs if that is the case. I'm not sure what the regs are in France but I'm sure the future owners of your property would appreciate the system being fully serviced and having a clean bill of health.

Contact Esse.

I have a wood burning Esse cooker and in 2005 a hot water system (tank in roof etc) was attached. It worked perfectly until now when suddenly the pump intermittently stops and starts. I assume that this is due to 1. the boiler filling up too slowly due to a blockage or 2. the pump's faulty (Monsoon 2.0 bar single). I need to know whether this is the sort of thing I can fix myself or should I call a plumber in? The problem with a plumber is that I live in France (though am selling due to Brexit!) and getting a good plumber in my area is difficult to say the least! Any advice most welcome.
Assuming your talking about a pump to boost the hot water pressure, if it's stopping and starting, check the inlet filters of both the pump and any outlet connected as these can disrupt flow rates which can cause the pumps flow switches to play up. Also check water in the tank fills up with no issues. If those are all good and you haven't recently changed any taps/showers etc, then due to the pumps age, I'd just replace it.
And why sell up because of brexit?

Thanks for comments - yes, I think we've been incredibly lucky re the system and the pump (yes, 14 years!!!). I don't think it's anything to do with Esse as the only contact the stove has with the boiler is the heating pipe that runs through it. I will check the inlet filters of the pump - the tank in attic appears to fill up all right and I haven't put in any new shower heads etc. I can't think how it could be air in the system, although the hot water did splutter a bit (that appears to have stopped). Brexit isn't the main reason for selling though it is something to consider - it's work really and the difficulty I've had in learning French! After Brexit (if it happens and it's a no-deal) then I suspect living in the UK might be not a good option - fortunately I'm also an Irish citizen (though if the border turns hard it might not be good living anywhere in Ireland with an English accent!)Thanks again for the advice - much appreciated.

Similar plumbing topics

D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
A
I looked up the faults out of curiosity as I...
Replies
Views
"While zone 2 is running if I turn up the...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Back