Boiler / radiator problems! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler / radiator problems! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ivrytwr3

Hey all,
I think i have knackered my boiler / radiators and could do with some help!

The boiler is a Gloworm ultimate - i do not know the model number as i can't see anything written on the boiler and the last occupants haven't left us any manuals! The bottom tray slides out for the controls, i can't see a pressure gauge anywhere either (if the problem is there is no pressure to the system, i don't know how to top it back up)

One of the upstairs radiators wasn't heating fully, so i bled that radiator, all that came out was air, even when the air was out, no water followed. I wasn't sure if this was right, but i tightened up the valve and went to try the radiators.

None of the radiators are heating and the boiler cut out switch popped on.

And that is where we at now......

What have i done wrong?! And how can i put it right?! lol!

EDITED to add - the boiler has a it has a 60 written on it

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have beld the rads and now water or air comes out then your system is empty. This is not a pressurised system and will be fed by tanks in your loft. If no water is coming to your rads from these tanks then your ball valve could be knackered or you could have a blocked cold feed. However it could be a few things. Is the water supply to these tanks turned on. Also if the boiler has gone to overheat then it would indicate this aswell

everything was working fine (except for the cold spot on the radiator) and now i have bled that radiator no water or air comes out and none of the other radiators are heating.

Where do i go from here then?

(thanks for the reply).

tie up the ball cock to the f&e tank. Drain a bit of water out of the system. see if the water level has dropped in the f&e tank. if it hasn't you have a blocked cold feed pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
cold feed could be blocked or an airlock, try shutting all other rads off except ones which wont fill see if that makes a difference. when you bleed was water dirty?

did as suggested - no difference, boiler shuts off. When i bled the radiator, i left it open until there was no air coming out, no water actually came out.

dont switch boiler on until rads are full of water as you may knacker your pump

are you sure that the air was coming out of the radiator and not going into it ?
did u bleed it with the boiler on ? I'm not too sure about this particular boiler but I know some boilers have the pump on the return and it sucks air into the system if you try and bleed it when the boiler is on, it happened to me before :p

Last edited:
turn the boiler off and there should be a silver box or two in the airing cupboard ,push the lever over so it is open and then try bleeding rads starting from downstairs and then upstairs and even beside cylinder there should be a bleed point do not switch on until full of water, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Tried calling the company that done the report...
Replies
Views
N
Hi I am potentially buying a house but the...
Replies
Views
Nigel Davies
N
A
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
Back