Boiler - Red water/Rust | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler - Red water/Rust in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swiftone75

Hello All, I have a problem with my boiler (Heatline S24 Combi), and posted about it awhile ago. I now have some more specifics, and i'm hoping someone can ID the possible problem. The boiler has been cutting in and out, with the flame trying to relight, not producing enough heat for all radiators etc.

The boiler and radiators have been flushed (with hose) multiple times. Over the last few weeks it has been cutting out about 20 hours after a flush, it continues to try to relight itself, also the no gas light goes on randomly. I checked it multiple times and re-flushed, problem now is not black sludge, but a brown/red colour water and bits of rust coming out.

This rust/water seems to form very quickly, with new red water appearing days after last flush, and I imagine this is what's causing at least some of the problems now. (cut outs, etc). Flushing seems to buy a few hours to a few days or usage. (still cuts out too often)

Does this point to anything specific? The Pressure relief valve has been activated multiple times due to pressure increases (possibly related to filling loop valve needing replacing). I assume the rust means air is getting into the system, but I'm not sure what the likley cause is, PRV? Something else?. Any help is appreciated, and ideas as to what might need replacing.

The expansion tank let off some water when re-pressurizing, but not much, the filling loop also seems to leak some water into the boiler when closed.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pressure relief valve has been activated multiple times due to pressure increases (possibly related to filling loop valve needing replacing).

The expansion tank let off some water when re-pressurizing, but not much, the filling loop also seems to leak some water into the boiler when closed.

Thanks.

I think you already have your answer, fresh oxygen rich water being introduced to system all the time.

Yea roger is right its red instead of black due to the air. You will need to change the main heat exchanger. You have flushed out the sludge but the film on the inside of the H/E is boiling the water inside as the boiler cannot snese the temperature quick enough to know what to do. It works very much lke limescale, restricting how fast the heat is transferred from flame - to metal - to water. The boiler doesnt have a chance and when it senses that it is up to temperature, it is already to late and has overheated.

If you change the heat exchanger then change the pump at the same time as all of the problems will have over worked it and it will be on its wa out

Hello, Thanks.

Now I just have the problem of getting British gas home care to fix it!.They will say its sludge so its not covered, but if they had taken care of it, fixed
the filling loop etc, it would not of got this way.

Is there any defense I can use when they say its all sludge related?. I guess they can't blame sludge on the filling loop, or guess they could blame sludge for anything, will have to see.

Thanks again.

How much inhibitor did you get in the system after flushing it?

he's flushed it mutiple times can't see inhibitor being put in every time

no inhibitors not going to help only 2 things on a combi cause red rusty water a passing loop or faulty plate heat

Hello All,

Thanks for the information. Yes the various problems did not start by flushing, but rather have been present for along time. The reason I have flushed multiple times is that every single time I get British gas home-care around, they insist I need a power-flush. not having £600+ for a flush I end up doing it myself, giving them the benefit of the doubt. I take it from the advice here that more red water than normal may well be caused by over flushing.

Bottom line is, I know a power-flush will not solve the current issues, the problems started over a month ago with cutting in out, thermostat light coming on/off, and other problems. With British gas telling me everything’s sludge, I was really hoping I can point to at least some problems that they cannot blame on sludge, so I can get them to do what I pay my premiums for.

I just know “Everything is sludge” argument is not correct – but I do not know enough to know exactly why its incorrect so I end up not getting anywhere.

Thanks again, I appreciate the replies.

Personally, I'd drian it, change the PRV, change the filing loop, re charge the expansion vessel and fill up with inhibitor and see what happens going off the onfo you have given us. does the pressure reach 3 bar or less when it blows off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Unfortunately the fitting of a new Venturi did...
Replies
Views
You might have a EV (expansion vessel)...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a flexicom.cx that hasn’t been...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Back