Boiler Relief Valve too Strong | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Relief Valve too Strong in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leao16

Hi, my hot water comes from a 50l Ferroli boiler.

The mains water has a reasonable pressure (it takes 7 secs to fill a 1l bottle of water), however the hot water is much slower (15 secs to fill the same bottle).

I think it is down to the pressure relief valve attached to my boiler. Whilst the Ferroli valve is useful for stopping pressure becoming excessive inside the boiler, I fear it might be too strong and is stopping me having a good shower !

What do you think? Can I take it off? Replace it with a weaker valve??

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks

what is the pressure reducing valve set to, and what is your mains incoming whater pressure at?

5c856eb25b3e1fc73f244a7686864411-xl-(colorbox).jpg

Hi, the relief valve is fixed and is set to 0.8MPa.

The incoming mains pressure fills a 1 litre bottle of water in 7 secs, which I understand is standard but I don't know what this is in MPa.

Hi, the relief valve is fixed and is set to 0.8MPa.

The incoming mains pressure fills a 1 litre bottle of water in 7 secs, which I understand is standard but I don't know what this is in MPa.

i maybe wrong but inst 0.8mpa something like 8 bar? and where are you located because dont think your in the uk as the normal pressure round here is about 1 to 3.5 bar :D

I'm located in Spain near Salamanca/Portugal. 0.8mps is apparently 8 bar according to the 'Convert MPa to bar online converter'.

What should I do to get a good shower ?

Any ideas??

I'm located in Spain near Salamanca/Portugal. 0.8mps is apparently 8 bar according to the 'Convert MPa to bar online converter'.

What should I do to get a good shower ?

Any ideas??

do you know your water flow rate because most people are happy with 1 - 3 bar showers over here

As I said, the mains tap fills a 1l bottle of water in 7 seconds. Apparently that is a standard pressure but I don't know what it is exactly in bars.

Can I try removing the pressure relief valve? Is there a danger that the boiler could blow?

An amateur plumber in need of help !

As I said, the mains tap fills a 1l bottle of water in 7 seconds. Apparently that is a standard pressure but I don't know what it is exactly in bars.

Can I try removing the pressure relief valve? Is there a danger that the boiler could blow?

An amateur plumber in need of help !

its there for a reason so leave it there

What is the mi hot water on one of those ferrolis I won't claim to know

What is the mi hot water on one of those ferrolis I won't claim to know

depends if he mean an oversink or one like rinnai

You must not remove a pressure relief valve. A pressure relief valve on your boiler / or hot water cylinder has nothing to do with the pressure you will receive at the tap. It is a safety feature that must not be tampered with.
I would suggest you contact an experienced / licensed / registered plumber or hvac engineer qualified to work on your system in your country and ask there professional advice.
You can put yourself and your property at considerable risk of damage or harm if you alter the wrong parts or settings on boilers and hot water cylinders. This forum is intended for plumbers in the United Kingdom and as such can offer little in the way of specific or accurate advise as to what may or not be required to improve your hot taps performance owing to the different systems and standards that likely exist in your country.

Okay, I'm not removing the pressure relief cap, but before I spend lots of money on a plumber it would be great to have a few ideas about what the problem might be. The hot water is going out two times slower than the cold water !

Cheers, L

It's not a pressure relief valve, it's a pressure reducing valve. It's there for a very good reason. Leave it alone.

And you are currently measuring flow rate, not pressure.

Sometimes you just need to accept that it is what it is.

Any chance the problem is more to do with the actual shower mixing valve, filters or whatever? I have different flow rates at the taps but have a nice shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you for reply. I have isolated the noise...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
A
Nope nothing in them pictures in regards to...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back