Boiler Replacement Size? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Replacement Size? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

Is there a guide on sizing a new condensing boiler to replace a 24kW conventional system boiler with a 250L unvented cylinder? I ask because I have been offered a range of outputs ranging from 18 through to 32kWs.

A more efficient boiler of 22Kw will replace your existing but will be too small to fully exploit the advantage of your 250L unvented. Matching the boiler to cylinder, 32 Kw will give a recharge time of less than 30 minutes (dependant on coil). If your hot water demand is sufficient with old boiler there is no advantage of sizing new boiler greater than 24Kw.which would still recharge cylinder in approx. 40 minutes.
Another consideration is 24 Kw will heat 8L of water/min so a shower running at 12L/min will only be taking 4L of stored hot water, allowing you to shower at 12L/minute for 60 minutes.
With water stored at temperature higher than 43C these figures are conservative.

What is the heat load of your rads, your gas safe engy should of calculated this first

No point in have a 32kw boiler if your rads ar only 12kw

A more efficient boiler of 22Kw will replace your existing but will be too small to fully exploit the advantage of your 250L unvented. Matching the boiler to cylinder, 32 Kw will give a recharge time of less than 30 minutes (dependant on coil). If your hot water demand is sufficient with old boiler there is no advantage of sizing new boiler greater than 24Kw.which would still recharge cylinder in approx. 40 minutes.
Another consideration is 24 Kw will heat 8L of water/min so a shower running at 12L/min will only be taking 4L of stored hot water, allowing you to shower at 12L/minute for 60 minutes.
With water stored at temperature higher than 43C these figures are conservative.

Thank you. That is helpful. To be fair. the installer that I am considering to do the work has been very up front. His calculations suggest that a 18kW boiler would be sufficient to heat my home (19 rads in a 2000 built 5 bed house) but HW heat up time might well be an issue. The proposed 24kW boiler is a compromise between HW heat up time and efficiency.

Thank you. That is helpful. To be fair. the installer that I am considering to do the work has been very up front. His calculations suggest that a 18kW boiler would be sufficient to heat my home (19 rads in a 2000 built 5 bed house) but HW heat up time might well be an issue. The proposed 24kW boiler is a compromise between HW heat up time and efficiency.

Normally 5-10kw for a cylinder so that 23-28kw would be ideal

The fury of a female emerging from a shower run cold is off the scale of normal instrumentation, but with 18Kw as the base adding, (2Kw X Number of Females in house), should be seen as minimum for cordial domestic existence.

always should oversize the boiler slightly, It will modulate down anyways :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
Ive got a new replacement boiler to install...
Replies
Views
A
I looked up the faults out of curiosity as I...
Replies
Views
Below is a sizing chart based on a heat loss...
Replies
Views
S
Morning all, I have a Worcester Bosch 8000...
Replies
Views
Simon from Watford
S
Back