Boiler Replacement | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Replacement in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hagan10

Evening All,

I currently have a potterton prima b (vented system) fitted to a 4 bedroom detached house (around 21 years old the boiler), i have only recently moved in.

The heating is on but is not getting the house warm.. (radiators only getting warm, not hot hot when boiler on highest setting)

Microbore is fitted

I am wondering could it need a boiler replacement or a magna cleanse? there is no filter fitted to the system at the moment, not sure if the previous owner had a system flush etc

Would i notice a difference with a magna cleanse?

thanks

21 yr old system, be worth replacing the lot for a well designed and specced system

A good clean might help, but to be honest, after 21 years, and bearing in mind that its microbore, if you can afford it - start again from scratch.

21 years ain't that old for a ch system. I would look at a new boiler, magnacleanse the old system, add a filter in the return plus trv's on the radiators.

Do you know if the pipework is plastic pushfit or copper pipe throughout. I would advise on replacement if its pushfit. If Copper a good cleanse of the system and being microbore i wiuld be inclined to take the rads off and flush through and cleanse pipework and fit a good quality filter and trvs afterwards

Agreed, I was at an house the other day with a 17 year old system and works absolutely fine - no issues at all.

I agree with GasSafe.

Hope you get it sorted :)

my home has a system that was in place when we moved in 23 years ago on microbore which works very well

It is a good boiler,it could be the boiler not working correctly,is it taking a long time to come on maybe even though controls are on or it could be a circulation problem,just because micro bore ,no reason to jump to the conclusion blocked ,if chemical inhibitor has been added,should be ok,best to get a gas safe engineer out with boiler certification,to check out the system

I would change boiler and all the rads if you can afford to as the newer radiators put out more heat and for the boiler to be covered under warranty etc you would have to pay someone to remove rads and flush through which won't get all the rubbish out anyway so i would put money towards new radiators and flush the pipework through also i would try to seal the system (get rid of the small tank in the loft)
I Would fit a Magnaclean or equivalent If fitting a new boiler

I would change boiler and all the rads if you can afford to as the newer radiators put out more heat and for the boiler to be covered under warranty etc you would have to pay someone to remove rads and flush through which won't get all the rubbish out anyway so i would put money towards new radiators and flush the pipework through also i would try to seal the system (get rid of the small tank in the loft)
I Would fit a Magnaclean or equivalent If fitting a new boiler

Wooow!!! maybe a new bathroom as well
:89:

Why ?

In my opinion if you change a boiler it is sensible to upgrade radiators too as new rads put out more heat as said above and if the boiler is 20 years old most likely the rads are too and have probably been painted 10 times which would also insulate the radiator reducing the output

If you flush the system which you should for a new boiler then most of the clean time is in the radiators so if you were to change the rads rather than spend time flushing each through the labour to flush a radiator would cover the labour to fit a new rad

I do agree with what you have said though about checking if boiler is running correctly and pump is working etc

B4 you go spending out loads of money, get someone in to check out boiler, may just need a service, and gas chacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Thanks for your response, they're dreyton...
Replies
Views
Hi Lou, It's been the same since 19th May...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
That's what I was hoping, looks like a good...
Replies
Views
Back