Boiler return pipe rattle | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler return pipe rattle in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well.

I just have a quick question:
I have noticed a very annoying rattle in the hot press when the stove with back boiler is on. I rattled the pipes myself to see if I could get the noise to change to no avail.

I discovered the noise coming from what seems to be the boiler return from the hot water cylinder coil. This pipe has a red gate valve that you rotate a couple times to close or open. When I fully close the valve the noise stops. Even a turn before being fully shut the noise decreases.

Could the valve be faulty as in something inside it has broken to cause the rattle? It sounds like there is a tiny ball being vibrated in the same area constantly.

It may not be relevant but I only recently noticed this noise a day or two after I drained my header/expansion tank to clean out debris and replace a leaking float valve.

Any advice at all would be great, thanks!

Attachments

• 20210305_221529.jpg
    20210305_221529.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 27
Hi all, hope everyone is doing well.

I just have a quick question:
I have noticed a very annoying rattle in the hot press when the stove with back boiler is on. I rattled the pipes myself to see if I could get the noise to change to no avail.

I discovered the noise coming from what seems to be the boiler return from the hot water cylinder coil. This pipe has a red gate valve that you rotate a couple times to close or open. When I fully close the valve the noise stops. Even a turn before being fully shut the noise decreases.

Could the valve be faulty as in something inside it has broken to cause the rattle? It sounds like there is a tiny ball being vibrated in the same area constantly.

It may not be relevant but I only recently noticed this noise a day or two after I drained my header/expansion tank to clean out debris and replace a leaking float valve.

Any advice at all would be great, thanks!
Also noticed, as soon as the circulation pump turns off behind the stove in the kitchen, the rattling stops immediately in thr hot press!

So I went and replaced the gate valve but to no avail, its still making the same annoying rattle, there are no loose fittibgs or pipes.

I will upload a video if anyone has any ideas?

The noise is only there when the pump behind the stove is switches on to pump water.

Coil vibration normally happens when the pump is too strong going through the cylinder

what’s the pump speed on ?

Coil vibration normally happens when the pump is too strong going through the cylinder

what’s the pump speed on ?
The pump is on speed 2, the noise has only begun a couple days before my initial post so other than that the noise wasn't there and nothing else was changed.

I put a screwdriver to the non return valve at the botton of the photo above and the noise seems applified there once I do so. Im unsure if it is a flap or spring type valve, could this be faulty internally?

If you close the gate valve down to when the noise disappears, perhaps there will still be enough flow to heat your water? If flow through the coil is too high you get very high return temperatures at the boiler and reduced efficiency.

If you close the gate valve down to when the noise disappears, perhaps there will still be enough flow to heat your water? If flow through the coil is too high you get very high return temperatures at the boiler and reduced efficiency.
I tried that but it was near closed before it would stop.

I went ahead and replaced the non return valve and the noise is now gone thank god. Bit of a nightmare, drained the entire system but couldn't empty the water back to the boiler for some reason, mainly due to the fact there is no drain valve at the back of the stove so I drained what I could via the hotpress and ended up having to change the valve live, pop the old one off and pop the new one on in a panic haha.

Job sorted now so thanks for the advice everyone, appreciate it.

Similar plumbing topics

I have a issue which I’m assuming is an...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Too much flow through the return needs a...
Replies
Views
S
This problem has been solved. The feed point...
Replies
Views
Steve Shad
S
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Back