boiler scrapage scheme 9/12/09 | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler scrapage scheme 9/12/09 in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

54ab

so what u think / good or bad for resistered plumbers/gas safe registered installers. AB

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: boiler scapage scheme

will be a good thing if warmfront dont box it all off,and so allow small businesses to have a bit

Re: boiler scapage scheme

will be a good thing if warmfront dont box it all off,and so allow small businesses to have a bit
my money is on exactly that happening what they should have done was made new boilers vat exempt

Would be a shame if they do. They aren't as fas as I know cheap.
It would be a great opportunity to introduce cost competition from the small guy and get more out of the grants and perhaps make jobs all over the country in small companies or at least keep some afloat.

I have read the "small print" of the Pre-Budget Report and it does not seem to be too bad. The scrappage scheme is separate from Warmfront. It says:

"£200 million to improve energy efficiency and tackle fuel poverty by: offering £400 for up to 125,000 households to upgrade their old boilers to the latest efficient models with a greener boiler incentive; and providing extra resources for Warm Front to help 75,000 of the most vulnerable households with heating and insulation."

That's £50 million for the boiler scrappage scheme and £150 million to Warmfront, but reading further it says that the total for both schemes is £215 million. In 2009-10 there was £100 million for Warmfront, which has all been spent, benefitting 38,000 houses - an average of £2632 per house.

There is a lot of inconsistency as they later say:

"• £150 million for Warm Front, which will provide better heating and insulation for an additional 75,000 of the most vulnerable households; and
• £50 million to fund the greener boiler incentive to encourage households to upgrade to more efficient heating systems"

and then:

"£200 million to improve energy efficiency and tackle fuel poverty by: offering £400 for up to 125,000 households to upgrade their old boilers to the latest efficient models with a greener boiler incentive; and providing extra resources for Warm Front to help 75,000 of the most vulnerable."

and later on:

"The Warm Front programme ... has helped ... almost 235,000 households last year alone."

Talk about confusing you with numbers! The government are masters of this.

The important difference is that Warmfront is only available to people on certain benefits and you only get a new boiler if your old one is not repairable. The boiler scrappage scheme is available to any one with a working]/b] Sedbuk Band G boiler.

The only thing which is not stated is whether you can only buy certain boilers or use certain installers. Possibly the former, but, as they are only contributing towards the boiler, I don't see why they should limit your choice of installer. Let's hope the more unscrupulous installers don't raise their prices by £400!

No more Boilers to fit till April .when boiler Scrappage starts.
Vat Registered Companies Only can apply for grants ,
less work for the thousand small one man companies.

hmmm, how factual is this, I cant see the point in that?

Im using the increase in VAT as a selling point atm, so doing quite well for boiler changes, at this rate im going to be made to be VAT registered.

Another good thing about the scheme in my eyes is gives the customer less leverage to haggle you down

i hope you dont have to be vat reg for this scheme ,i try very hard to stay out of the vat trap,like steve says should make the boiler vat free and get manufactures to cut price then,let them claim the money off gov.but it wont happen all the big boys will box it off

Will it cover the replacement of a warm air unit and circulator with a new wet system?

Either way, I can see customers delaying orders unless their existing boiler has packed up completely.

You can find efficiencies for existing boilers at sedbuk.com

what we will see , Customers waiting till april for grants for new boilers,
Like council grants in my area, Contracters must be VAT registered.
less work for Self employed plumbers/ heating engineers Gas Registered Installers.
it the way I can see it. Most self employed got Deregisterded due to reccession.
What u think good for the trade. Vat exempt good idea.

Here comes the big boys taking the mick,Npower match offer

NPower launches its own boiler scrappage scheme - Telegraph

If any potential customers reading this post,I am running my own scrapage scheme at the moment offering £2500 off the price of a new HE boiler install,making the usully £4500 now only £2000,thats right,Only £2000,at prices like this,I bet you wish you had two boiler !!
Hurry ,this offer can't last long :(:confused:;):rolleyes:

There seems to be a lot of speculation and mis-information going around about this. This quote may help:

A Treasury spokesman said: "Households in England will be able to claim up to £400 if they replace an inefficient boiler – rated G or worse – with an energy-efficient one or with another renewable technology."
He added that the detail of how the process would work had not been worked out, although consultations were taking place with the boiler industry. "But if the scheme is based on the car scrappage scheme, we hope claiming the incentive would be handled by the retailer."

If the last part is correct, even non-VAT registered installers will be OK as the rebate will be claimed by the merchant who sells him the boiler. Let's hope the installer does not have to lug the old boiler along to the merchant to prove that its a Band G.;)

OK so I have a Baxi Bermuda VP. As you will know this is a flame fire in a fish tank type front with a back boiler. Water tank upstairs. (Recently replaced). The Baxi was installed in about 1988. Can anyone tell me what Grade it is?

Will I qualify under scrapage scheme? What should I replace it with? Will I be able to use the Gas Technician I always use to service the boiler? Any other implications of replacing the Baxi.

Looking forward to your advice.

look on sedbuk.com for class and you will have to speak to your engineer about replacing it
back boilers are a bit of a pain in that the pipework is not allways readilly accesible for the new boiler..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
Hi John, This was actually a house I'm...
Replies
Views
Is it bottles or bulk tank? They go over pipe...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
Back