boiler selection | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler selection in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

prs999

Hi,

I am looking at a bit of advice about boiler size selection.

We are hopefully going to buy a house we have put an offer in on but it needs a new boiler if not a few bits more as well, I would like to have some input in the process as I have futher plans for the house in the future which I would like to prep for.

I have been looking at boiler sizes on the Worcester Bosch site (we currently have one which I am happy with, I will research other options later though) and the house is boarderline between a couple of options (all are combi)
at the moment it is a good sized 3 bed which I will install 2 zones in, one up and one down, but in the future I may add a 3rd zone in for underfloor heating in a new extention.

my main questions so far are

If I get a larger boiler than I need to futureproof myself, will it cost more to run on my current setup or will it just use more gas for less time?

also is there anything special I am looking for in a boiler if I want to add underfloor heating later? I know I will need a lot more bits when the time comes, I just want to make sure the boiler is up to it

also any advice about boiler selection generally would be great, are the ones with internal water tanks any good/worth the extra

cheers

Do you have any idea what system you currently have ?
i always like heat only or system boilers myself .
combis are ok for smaller properties although you can get ones that can easily cope with multiple hot water draw offs problem with them is when they go wrong can lose both hot water and heating

you normally lose hw and heating when any boiler goes wrong lol. however as stated above, if your going to stay a while go for a system and cyl, then youll have the ability to heat water via an immersion when the boiler fails. Also a cyl can allow solar hw as well if you plan ahead. get in a decent plumbedr to do the calcs and take it fm there, and look away fm wb try intergas for a decent boiler and if you must have a combi the intergas ones have less bits to breakdown:)

Hi, thanks for your responses.

The system is currently a vented system but it is quite a mess and the boiler is currently in the bedroom so this will move.

I understand the issues with combo boilers buy i have had them in a number of houses but fore the following reasons i think fore me the pros outweigh the cons

You never run out of hot water
I work all sorts of hours so i don't have to think about seeing a timer.

In the house there is only the bathroom and kitchen sink which will draw hot water so a combi should be fine

Also sure to velux windows on the loft solar probably won't ever be an option, that said Bosch advertise a solar friendly combi

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
The two components that electrically turn on...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
N
Re: Zoning upstairs. If you don't have 1 set...
Replies
Views
Back